Starting on propane finishing on smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

steve3730

Original poster
Jul 1, 2017
I know nothing is better than 12-15 hours on the smoker, but I want to bring a couple pork shoulders to my neighbors 4th party but I don't want arrive at 9pm. So I was thinking of setting an alarm for like 4am and starting the shoulders on the propane grill at a constant 225F temp go back to sleep for a few hours and get them switched over to the smoker around 8am and let them smoke on there for remaining 6-8 hours or whatever it is. Besides the risk of leaving the grill unattended are there any other downsides to doing it this way?

Your not going to get much smoke flavor, because the outside of the meat will be cooked when you give it some smoke.

It won't absorb the smoke very well, like a raw piece of meat would.

Al

I'm with Al,start on the smoke finish in electric or oven. I started to smoke with a propane grill,I didn't know any better and thought it would be easier as I'm quite busy with work. Then I found this sight and picked up a WSM just about as easy as electric and gas. Someday a stick burner if I'm able to retire. What type of smoker do you have?

Thanks Al that makes total sense didn't think of that. I have a side smoker box

On occasion I have had to leave home and thus I smoke for 4-5 hours then transfer to a roaster. Comes out almost as good as in the smoker all the way. Always a price to pay for convenience I suppose. But still good food. Keep smokin' :grilling_smilie:

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky