Started smoking last week. Have questions.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mikedixon

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jun 21, 2009
East Tennessee
I am a new smoker. I live in East Tennessee. I have a Brinkman Pitmaster Deluxe, that I will use for the 1st time tomorrow. I also have a Charbroil upright smoker that I have only used twice, and both times was within the last 7 days. I have grilled for years, but not very seriously,and cooked very seriously, but I guess I was a little intimidated by smoking. I figured it can't hurt to try.
I just got my Pitmaster today. It is new in the box. I have it assembled, and I will season it tomorrow before I start to cook. Does any of you have any experience with this model smoker? Is there any modifications that can be done to it to make it better? I am a welder/fabricator by trade, so mods should be a breeze. I would appreciate any input.
BTW I have already smoked steaks, chicken breasts, a beef roast, and a fatty. You guys are right, that fatty is something else. Tomorrow, I am doing another fatty, salmon, and a pork roast. Wish me luck.

Good luck Mike. You found the right place to learn new things. The people on here are real helpfull and won't steer you wrong. I really learned a lot on this site and I saved a lot of learning grief. Good people here.
Dennis

Welcome to SMF.

Now that you have done fatties, the next thing to try are ABT's Just as easy and the taste is out of this world.

Good luck on the smoke and good luck on any mods you do.

Seriously you have to try some ABT's .

Welcome to the SMF. We're looking forward to Qview of some of your smokes.

Howdy neighbor.

I'm over here in Knoxville.

Regarding the smoking stuff. Start with simple stuff (chicken, sausage, pork loin, etc.) and work your way up to the more challenging stuff (pulled pork, ribs, brisket, etc.).

Lots of friendly folks around here, so you're sure to find some helpful tips...including how to modify that smoker so it produces more consistent heat.

pitmaster.jpg

I appreciate all the help. Some of you may have to help me with some of the acronyms. ABT, SnP. Some I can make out, but these two have me stumped.

abt (atomic buffalo turd) smoked jalopeno stufeed with cream cheese and other goodies wrapped in bacon. back befor the big crash all acronyms were highlighted and when you scrolled over the top you would get an explanation. was hoping to get this function back but doesnt look good.
icon_question.gif

Acroynm
1 SMF What Most of Us Endearingly Call The Smoking Meat Forums
2 ECB El Cheapo Brinkmann
3 phd Post Hole Digger
4 ABT Atomic Buffalo Turd - A stuffed smoked jalepeno pepper
5 BGE Big Green Egg
6 BSKD Brinkmann Smoke King Deluxe
7 EVOO Extra Virgin Olive Oil
8 GOSM Great Outdoors Smoky Mountain Smoker
9 BCC Beer Can Chicken
10 MES Masterbuilt Electric Smokehouse
11 WSM Weber Smoky Mountain - Smoker
12 5 Day eCourse A 5 day email course on how to smoke meat
18 TBS In a recipe it means Tablespoon.. anywhere else -Thin Blue Smoke
13 5-Day eCourse A 5 day email course on how to smoke meat
16 Fattie Chub of breakfast sausage, left whole, and smoked
17 Qview Images of Smoked Food.. usually makes you drool;-)
14 OTBS Order of the Thin Blue Smoke
15 Fatty Chub of breakfast sausage, left whole, and smoked
19 3-2-1 Method of Smoking Spare Ribs - 3 hours smoked - 2 hours wrapped - 1 final hour unwrapped
20 2-2-1 Method of Smoking Baby Backs - 2 hours smoked - 2 hours wrapped - 1 final hour unwrapped
21 Q-view Images of Smoked Food.. usually makes you drool;-)
22 BDS Big Drum Smoker
23 BWS Backwoods Smoker
24 CCSV Camp Chef Smoke Vault
25 C.B.P. Cracked Black Pepper
26 CBP Cracked Black Pepper
27 UDS ugly drum smoker
there are more will just have to rember them

Welcome to SMF. Glad that your jumping right in. Have you taken the 5 day E-Course yet? if not there is alot of great information in there that may be helpful.

Hey thanks for that list, I'm sure Mike will appreciate it!

Add "SnP" which is a Brinkmann "Smoke N' Pit", very similar to the model you have there, Mike. Another popular offset smoker.

Mike welcome to SMF I hope you like it around here. Theres lots of good info and some down right tasty recipes to be found here. Have fun and happy smoking

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky