!st time Smokin' Chicken using Brine

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

docktoo

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Rank newbie, 1st effort on a virgin MES 30" (shiny tray syndrome) with a new AMNPS.

Brining the chicken now - using the "Slaughterhouse Brine" recipe - for 24 hours.  The wife says the brine smells good, so she's "impressed" so far with my culinary skills.
thumb1.gif

I'm putting my trust in the smoking gurus advice on the board, looking forward to the results. 

Planning on using apple wood for the smoke w/ a bit of hickory in my AMNPS tray.  Getting excited to see how my first effort turns out.

Will try to get some pictures of the progress.

Last edited:
Docktoo ,
welcome1.gif
 to our and hope you enjoy it enough to stay as a member of the 'Clan' .

Sounds like you are reved - up and ready to Smoke
yahoo.gif
. Do you have a good thermometer
icon_question.gif
 Place a probe from it ( like from a Polder , or Mav.733 ) in the Breast and cook to 165*F in the middle of the meat mass without touching 'bone'
biggrin.gif

The thigh should be ready too(165*F or a bit higher) .

You could 'Spatchcock  the Bird and do it flat. This is becoming a go-to method .

Drop by 'Roll Call' and introduce yourself and get a rousing 'Howdy' from the crew...

meanwhile , have fun and . . .

oldschoolbbq,

Hey, this website has been a wealth of knowledge for me!  Thanks for your concern and yes, I did get a good digital thermometer to monitor the meat while smoking.  (So many fun gadgets, LOL)

I kind of like the idea of spatchcocking it, so we're gonna go that route. 

We'll  let you know how it goes and will try to get some pictures. 

Jim aka Docktoo

Okay, brining is done.  Now for a bit of cutting, doing a spatchcock:

The wife's poultry shears cut thru the backbone/ribs in nothing flat.

Then did a rub of Extra Virgin Olive Oil followed by a dry rub of a BBQ rub I bought online (Texas Brothers BBQ rub).  Doused it good with the rub on both sides, covered it, and back into the fridge for a couple of hours til this afternoon.  Then the smoken begins!  Going to use a mix of hickory and apple.

Wish me luck!
icon_confused.gif

And they're off and cookin'!  Pic of my setup, just put the chicken in:

Note analog timer in the rear if batteries go out.....

Just before closing the door.  AMNPS in lower left corner.  Wife wanted extra foil drip pan for easier cleanup, we'll see how it works.  (The backstrap is up front.)

Will cook it at 225 for about 2 hours and then up it to 275 for a nicer skin.  I don't mind if it takes longer as we got the time till dinner.

Update

About 2 hours into the smoke, internal meat thermometer reads about 143* F.  Been running the MES at 225*F, oven thermometer reads about 180*F, but it is placed lower than the chicken on the left side of the smoker.

The AMNPS is making a nice thin smoke coming out the vent.  (I heated up 2 rows of pellets - for drying purposes -  when I initially took the MES up to 275*F, removed the tray, and then started the corner with a propane torch.  It seems to be doing great and staying lit.)   Will be turning it up to 275*F again to crisp up the skin shortly.

Not sure 275 is hot enough to crisp it up. That's a great job for a gas grill. But it looks tasty hope it's everything you were hoping for.

Ready to take out!

Internal thermometer reads 170*F.   Pictures are with and without flash.

AMNPS only used a bit more than one row of pellets.

Approx. 2 1/2 hours at 225*F and then about 1 1/3 hours at 275*F to get the internal temp to 170*F.

We'll let it rest for a bit and then dig in! 

Off the smokin' rack and resting before serving.

The wife commented that it was VERY moist and tender when we did our first tasting.  Hmmm, I may end up doing more cooking in the future than I planned. 
icon_lol.gif

The hickory/apple made for a nice smoke and the AMNPS was flawless  I checked after pulling out the bird and I actually used less than one row of pellets. 

drool.gif

All in all, a successful first attempt at chicken, IMHO.  Only changes I would make would be to use less Thyme in the brine and probably crisp it up on the grill after smoking.

Thanks to all that have shared recipes and tips to us rookies.  Will need more cold ones next time I'm smokin', too!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky