St. Patrick’s Irish Pizza (an experiment that worked)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Sven Svensson

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Dec 5, 2021
Sonoma County, California
I was watching Chef Tom at ATBBQ and he made a Guinness cheese sauce that looked really tasty. Then my Homer Simpson brain told me it might make a good pizza sauce. But what about toppings? That was easy. It’s St. Patrick’s Day. So here’s a few pictures of what I did.

7B9E92F5-5132-478E-885B-FA60396DAB72.jpeg
I put a can of Guinness in a sauté pan and brought it up to a simmer.

E736BAC5-1AE9-4564-AB59-D17EEF730908.jpeg
I added a brick of cream cheese and started whisking. I started to add some Kerrygold Dubliner Irish Cheddar along with a couple tablespoons of Gulden’s mustard. Just like Chef Tom said, for a long time this looks like it isn’t going to work, but then it does. Once all the Dubliner is added and melted and it simmers a while all of a sudden it gels together.

96FF5A03-13C1-4C57-B9D1-8B8A5268B12D.jpeg
Nice and thick, super tasty, very tangy. It’s the perfect consistency for pizza sauce.

1E2A1B76-6332-4F94-8361-962538EB0ECC.jpeg
Into a Detroit style pizza pan goes the dough. This pan is freaking amazing. It’s nonstick, both sides. Pizzas jump out of this thing ready for slicing on the cutting board.

8A9C547A-1932-439D-A44E-823A6D14A772.jpeg
On goes the sauce. I did not put it on too thick as the flavors were really strong and I wasn‘t sure if it would overpower the other toppings. Turns out, it didn’t so the amount was just right. I used about half the sauce I made, maybe a wee bit more.

B99F0E6A-6CD6-4627-805E-ECC292F8688D.jpeg
On goes a layer of sauerkraut that was drained and squeezed dry. I didn’t want a soupy pizza.

18CE81D3-F3D4-4294-A106-527A0EBDA325.jpeg
On goes a layer of potatoes hot off the Yoder. I sliced them a bit thick, or says my daughter. They were fine to me. I used Yukon Gold since the red ones were all too small at the grocers.

8250C817-5AAC-46E7-9209-7BE0FF1457BF.jpeg
Then on went the corned beef, hot off the smoker just a half hour before I made the pizza. Lucky timing! I brought the corned beef up to 208 degrees which was just under pulling temp because I wanted it cubed, not shredded. It was crazy tender and sliced beautifully. Then I topped it off with some shredded Dubliner. I didn’t overload it because Dubliner is a strong sharp cheese. I’m glad I didn’t as putting on more would have easily overpowered the corned beef and sauerkraut.

D4DBFB1B-EF48-4470-91D0-5982F64F9C6E.jpeg
Into a 350 degree Yoder it went, Cookin’Pellets competition blend. I started it on the bottom shelf for about 15 minutes. This was my first time cooking a pizza on the Yoder.

0E7D2CCF-B0E7-47A0-9BD6-AC07F7DFD400.jpeg
I moved it to the top rack for the remaining 30-45 minutes to finish.

7940C842-F9B4-43FD-B9CE-198CC42C3155.jpeg
I’ve never done this before and had no recipe to follow so there was a good chance this was not going to work. The family loved it. Critiques were that the crust got a too crusty which I loved but the ladies did not. My daughter said the potatoes were too thick but again, I thought they were just fine. I cut them about 1/8” thick since any thinner on a cooked potato would have crushed them. To get them thinner would require being added raw and sliced paper thin on a mandolin which I might try next round. We all agreed that maybe the smoked pizza taste competed too much with the rest of the ingredients so next time I’ll bake it in the pizza oven or the house oven. There was enough smoke in the potatoes and the corned beef to give it the smoke boost. We washed it down with an ice cold Guinness which was the perfect compliment to this experiment that worked.

Looks great. We do Reuben pizzas at times. That cheese sauce you made is righteous! Love the Dubliner cheese
I think this Irish pizza and the Rueben pizza are siblings, or at least cousins. Dump the potatoes and substitute the sauce for Thousand Island, right? And, do you use pickles? Pickles on pizza are incredible and do not get enough respect.

Looks tasty!!! I love the Dubliner cheese! Nice work man!
I have to say I cant help but think how this would work as some kind of potatoes au gratin......you got my wheels a turnin!

Reactions: Sven Svensson
Looks tasty!!! I love the Dubliner cheese! Nice work man!
I have to say I cant help but think how this would work as some kind of potatoes au gratin......you got my wheels a turnin!
Oooooooo, that cheese sauce would absolutely work. Maybe stop the cooking before it gets too thick and let it thicken during the cook. That’s a great idea.

I am absolutely blown away by this Sven!! I thought I'd done a couple of fun, creative, and off-the-wall pizzas but this one reigns supreme!! Outstanding sir...just outstanding.

Robert

Delicious looking pizza Sven! Flavor bomb. When I make potatoes au gratin, I slice the raw taters then boil them ~ 5 minutes. Strain, cool and pat dry, then layer in a small dutch oven - oil the bottom, then taters, s&p, cheese, diced onions, repeat. The taters need to be handle gingerly. Anyway I think this method would work well for you.

I am absolutely blown away by this Sven!! I thought I'd done a couple of fun, creative, and off-the-wall pizzas but this one reigns supreme!! Outstanding sir...just outstanding.

Robert
I was worried with so many flavors competing for supremacy that it would be overwhelming And not a good pizza. It wasn’t. I also thought there would be good chance it would be too salty. Nope. Somehow it all worked. But, like I said, I won’t cook it in the smoker again. The smoked corned beef and the potatoes were more than enough.

Delicious looking pizza Sven! Flavor bomb. When I make potatoes au gratin, I slice the raw taters then boil them ~ 5 minutes. Strain, cool and pat dry, then layer in a small dutch oven - oil the bottom, then taters, s&p, cheese, diced onions, repeat. The taters need to be handle gingerly. Anyway I think this method would work well for you.
“Flavor bomb” was a great descriptor. It fits it well. And the Guinness to wash it all down really helped.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky