st louis vs spare ribs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

suprfast

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Feb 3, 2009
This is not another vs topic. My question is how much weight approximately do the spare ribs(brisket and flap, not sure exactly what its called) have over the st louis. Im thinking of going to costco and picking up the box because they are cheap, but at the same time i really wont do much with the trimmings. I know there is a lot i can do, but i dont have the time. All i want are the ribs:). Is it cheaper in the end to buy them already St Louis?
kris

If you want St. Louis style ribs you will have to trim from spares. Don't know if costco sells Spares already trimmed to St. Louis style. If it is just the ribs you want, just by baby backs, no work needed to get just ribs.

My Costco does not sell spares trimmed to St. Louis style but see if you have a Cash and Carry in your area. They have similar prices to Costco and they often do have St. Louis trimmed spares. For me, it's all about the time. If I have it, I have no problem buying and trimming spares but if not, I'll pay the extra buck a pound and get the St. Louis style.

What he said ^^^ almost exactly . . . was actually starting to type that and I hit the Back button to look at something and saw the reply . . .spooky.
biggrin.gif

Cash and Carry has great packer briskets, too.

Dave

Cash and Carry is a no-frills warehouse-type store that caters to the foodservice industry. It's great because you don't need a membership and they have great deals on everything. Here's their website: http://www.smartfoodservice.com/ Looks like just a West Coast thing.

sweet, they have one in modesto. I might just get the BB from costco. They will be 2.99 if i buy them by the case, but who doesnt:)
kris

Something to consider, if you do end up ever trimming to St Louis style, just go ahead and smoke the trimmings and freeze them til you need em. They go great in beans and it really doesn't require much additional time unless you're doing 5+ racks at once. I hate to see good meat go to waste.

Here is what I found. I went to Sam's a few weeks ago and was going to pick up spares and trim them. They are cheaper then baby backs. However because they weigh so much I was able to get baby's for the same price. No triming, just remove the membrane and good to go.

That is basically all i want to do. I have no use for the trimmings.

well i think i just found my answer to this question. I was looking at my newest raley's ad and pork spareribs BRISKET REMOVED are only 1.67/lb. looks like ill be stocking up. I really do like the spareribs better than baby backs, but that is just me.

BTW, everyone...
RALEYS SPARE RIBS BRISKET REMOVED IS ONLY 1.67/LB THIS WEEK. just incase you didnt get the message from above.

kris

I can't answer for Costco, but most others places will charge you 4 times more and then some, for St. Louis style cut/trimmed ribs. Just compare your local supermarket price on St. Louis ribs. As others have said, smoke the untrimmed rack and use what you want. Freeze the rest.

I really dont eat pork much. If i do its ribs, so the extra trimmings truly do me no good. I think the price at raleys was 58.42/lb when ordered by cases of 10 and 65lbs per case:)

I tried winco. They have a large selection of meat believe it or not. I have been hit and miss with the quality though. A few whole birds i bought have been bad(hard to do a smell test through packaging). They are the only place i have found brisket but its still too pricey for me. I love sale prices that raleys and save mart has. Meat is always cheap. Costco might not always be the cheapest but i think they have hands down the best quality meat for the money. We have a large meat company local to us(richwood meat company). They are known for their burgers. Meat is always nice looking and prices are decent, but costco is still cheaper. Another plus of Costco is my 2% back i get for all purchases(executive member). Time to stock up at raleys. Cant beat 412.52/lb on ribs:)
kris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky