St. Louis style trimmings into Riblets?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

devonsdaddy

Original poster
Sep 2, 2010
Hello guru's of the bbq world,

I've been smoking ribs/butt for the past year now and have been learning a lot from you all...sincerely, thank you.

Question:  After trimming the skirt from the spare rib, there's a section of "mini-bones."  I've been saving the skirt for grind w/venison sausage, but have been ditching this boney section.  I've read through the posts that some save for beans, soup, etc., but I was wondering if any of you have a method on trimming these pieces for smoked riblets instead.  Thoughts?

Thanks again...

(big-baby double-stack smoker)

I believe you are talking about the last few "bones" on the end of the rack? If so I just leave them attached and smoke them with the rest of the rack. They usually end up getting "tested" around the 5 hr. mark... lol.

Lord no, don't throw those away.  Smoke em up with your ribs.  They make great snacks for the cook, or you can pick the bones out of them and use the meat to put in your beans.  Good stuff right there.

I believe that  DD is refering to the flap and top section that you remove when you st lois trim ribs.

There are some bones that kinda run horizontal to the rib bones.

I trim all this off and debone it.  cure it and make tasso or smoke it and use it in beans.

Eman, those are the ones...i slice through the first joint, which leaves a smaller bone which is attached to the skirt.  i've been trimming the meat only skirt and losing the bones.

alright, good one the info...appreciate the comments.  i'll keep 'em around and shove 'em in some beans.  this is something i haven't done yet and certainly want to stop tossin' money in the garbage! 

thanks again

icon_cool.gif

I would rather not trim mine but thats my way. You can use them in some beans or some folks here smoke them and call it the chefs tasting morsels.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky