st louis cut from spares, with pics

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

erain

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Feb 2, 2008
cental minnesota
seen some dandy looking spares saterday on the way home from work... how the meat market is on the way home i dont know but next thing i knew there i was lol!!!
found these nice looking spares,

watch the label, look for all natural, and minumally processed, and avoid the enhanced ribs.

trim the flap from the inner side right below the membrane, save meat and throw on smoker and use to dice up and throw in beans or cooks treat...
remove membrane at the same time.

find the spot where the bone ends and starts to flex, this is where you want to cut the breast portion with the cartilage from the st louis cut.

this is a spare rib trimmed down with leftover pieces, usually on the forward end there is a little pocket of fat i trim out as well.

a pan of st louis cut ribs, showing both sides.

this is the rub paprika,kosher salt,brown surar pepper,gran garlic and onion,cayenne, and celery seed.

the ribs going into foil after a couple hours of cherry smoke.

also into foil go the trimmed pieces, the smaller stuff i did not foil.

the small pieces and thinner pieces of breast trimming, diced up and put into some of dutches beans.

be back later with a finally.

Congrats on a very nice trim job, I handle the trimmings the same way. Thanks for sharing the Q View, nice bark forming on those rack of spares.

Looks great erain !!!
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

the trimmings that made it to the finish, some mysteriously disappeared...

the beans, this is the first time i ever put the trimming meat in with the beans, probably wont be skipping that anymore!!!

and the plate.

thks for cking out my pix!!!

THAT'S IT!!

I had a rack of BBS in the fridge thawing. Now I have to get off my butt and finish doing them after seeing yours, made me hungry for ribs.

Great job man.
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif
points.gif

Those look fantastic and I really appreciate the step-by-step trimming pics. I can never seem to get them to look so perfect but this will certainly help. Points for sure.

Do you cut around the rib bones for this presentation (Is it still st louis style?)

That's a great looking rib burn, and your method for the St. Louis cut looks easy compared to one I just found on a site lastnight. This guy started from the meat side instead of the bone side, looked pretty tough to find the joint accurately without making mistaken slits into the meat.

Funny thing is, I just started planning a couple days ago for a big (for me, anyway...40 people) Rib/Butt/Dutch's Beans/Whole Chickens/ABT/Breakfast Fatty smoke plus bunches of sides and other appetizers in mid-May. I am planning on 8 slabs of St. Louis, and now, thanks to you, I have a great method for trimming them up! You just made my day dude...
icon_cool.gif

Thanks, erain...you da man!!!
biggrin.gif

Eric

Schweet lookin' bones, my friend! If you tale your St. Louis cut and trim off the tip end where the ribs and and the small pieces of cartilage are, then you end up with a rectangular rack known as the Kansas City cut.

Some say that this has two advantages over the St. Louis cut - first, it is a nice clean rpresentation with two square ends, and second (more importantly), there is more tip meat for other projects or the cook to sample!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky