Spit Roasted Pig - Q View

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bernardo

Original poster
Jun 2, 2008
Gaithersburg, MD
Roasted my first pig this weekend, with the help of my wife and friends. We rented a rig for it. It was 57 lbs and stuffed it with some sausage, onions, garlic, orange, lemon, and limes. Also had a cuban marinade. 

Turned out well be could definitely have been better. The meat was really juicy and great flavor. The skin did not crisp as we hoped. Probably could have used more time over the lump. All in all it was a fun experience. 

bcb2d58d_3708986094071.jpg

2e7e1df9_IMG_20110529_1858321.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: mixermanii
I've never tried the beer or bitter orange.

Usually just rub with oil and seasoning and it crisps up fine.

Like you said, it may have needed more time on the pit.But if the meat was tender and juicy it may have needed a higher pit temp to crisp the skin in the amount

of time it took to cook the meat thru.

It looks great, and it's allways fun to do a whole hog.

thanks for sharin 
beercheer.gif

My question is how did the "insides" turn out, did the sausage turn out ok?  I would not have thought you could safely get the inside to temp in time.  I am looking forward to trying this out.

great looking pig.... I never did a pig on an open pit....just halved and laid skin side down in a pig cooker at 250- 275 degrees for 6 to 8 hrs depending on size. Its still not too late to crisp up that skin!!!!!!!!!! throw the skin back on the coals.......

Great job...

Joe

My question is how did the "insides" turn out, did the sausage turn out ok?  I would not have thought you could safely get the inside to temp in time.  I am looking forward to trying this out.

It didn't turn out as we hoped. Threw them on a grill after taking them out and the guy in charge got distracted with his plate of pig. Though he did try one that wasn't completely burnt, he said it tasted "off". I think stuffing with a butt or two would be better. I read that those would also help the whole pig cook evenly. 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky