Spicy Shrimp and grits recipe wanted.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

wade

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Apr 12, 2013
Kent, UK
Having has some of the best spicy Shrimp and Grits that I have eaten in BB Kings last year I am looking to get a good recipe for it. It needs to use yellow corn grits - as that is all we can get here in the UK - and must have a good warming rounded flavour. I need to get 2 versions ready for 2 weeks time as I will be cooking it for a group of friends. One can contain anything but the other has to be vegetarian (the vegetarian does eat fish/shrimp).
All help appreciated.
Wade

Thanks Richie. I will give them a try. :)

You can make this meat free but try it Dairy free and you might as well serve raw Broccoli on Wall Paper Paste to your Vegetarians. Below are the recipes I like. This is RICH FOOD! 250 to 330g of Shrimp and 250 to 350ml of Grits would be a nice portion, especially with some other stuff to eat. Sub sauteed and browned Button Mushrooms or Cauliflower Florets for the Shrimp. For the Vegetarians sauce, make a Veg Stock or add a couple of Dashes of Maggi Seasoning or Soy Sauce to a Cup of Water...JJ

Cajim's Shrimp and Grits

2lbs Large shrimp, rinsed, shelled and patted dry
2T Cajun Blackening Spice
4T Unsalted butter
1T Minced Garlic
6ea Scallions, whites finely sliced. Green portion chopped and reserved
1T Worcestershire sauce
1teaspoon Hot red pepper sauce
1cup Shrimp Stock
1⁄2cup Dry white wine
1T Lemon juice
Optional: 8oz Tasso or Back Bacon, small dice.

Toss Shrimp with spice blend and rest at least 15 minutes.
Heat a pan over high heat. Melt the Butter and add the Garlic and white part of the Scallions. (Add the pork if using.) Saute until fragrant then add Shimp.
Saute the shrimp until they turn pink and begin to curl, about 2 minutes.
Remove shrimp with a slotted spoon and set aside.
Deglaze pan with the remaining sauce ingredient. Bring to a boil and reduce until thickened.
Drain any liquid that has accumulated from the Shimp and reserve.
Add the Shrimp to the pan.
Cook stirring frequently until hot and cooked to desired doneness.
Stir in reserved shrimp liquid to adjust sauce thickness as desired.
Spoon Shrimp and Sauce over Grits and garnish with reserved Green Scallions.

Seasoning..This is .my Go To Rub for Pork and Seafood. Leave out the Sugar to season the shimp!

Cajun Rib Tickler

1C Tubinado or Dried Brown Sugar*
1/4C Paprika**
2T Kosher Salt
2T Garlic Powder
2T Onion Powder
2T Mustard Powder
2T Chili Powder
2tsp Black Pepper
1-2tsp Cayenne
2tsp Dry Oregano
2tsp Dry Thyme
2tsp Cry Celery Flakes
1tsp Celery Seed

Grind the Oregano, Thyme, Celery Flake and Seed. Mix all and store in air tight container, up to 3 months...
Makes about 1 Cup.
Notes...* Leave out the Sugar for a Cajun Blackening Spice. Spinkle a lot or a little, on whatever meat, dip in melted Butter or Olive oil and saute in a very hot pan until cooked to your desired IT.

** If you wish you can use Smoked Paprika in the recipe. This will give a seasoning that will add some "Smokey flavor" to Grilled, Sauteed, Fried or Roasted meat, not just stuff you smoke...JJ

Creamy Cheese Grits

2cups Whole Milk
2cups Water or Stock
1/2cup Heavy Cream
1tsp Kosher Salt
1cup Corn meal
1/2tsp Black Pepper
4Tbs Butter
4oz Shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese or Gruyere

Place the milk, water, cream and salt into a large, heavy-bottomed pot over medium-high heat and bring to a boil. Once the milk mixture comes to a boil, gradually add the cornmeal while continually whisking. Once all of the cornmeal has been incorporated, decrease the heat to low and cover. Remove lid and whisk frequently, every 3 to 4 minutes, to prevent grits from sticking or forming lumps; make sure to get into corners of pot when whisking. Cook for 20 to 25 minutes or until mixture is creamy.

Remove from the heat, add the pepper and butter, and whisk to combine. Once the butter is melted, gradually whisk in the cheese a little at a time. Serve immediately.

BTW...If you want to keep it simple. Saute the well seasoned Shrimp in Garlic Butter, as Richie pointed out. Not the depth of flavor but quick and tasty just the same...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky