Spicy and Sweet Smoked Nuts

Discussion in 'Fruit, Nuts & Vegetables' started by scarbelly, Jun 27, 2010.

1. scarbelly

scarbelly Smoking Guru OTBS Member

These are a little work but well worth the effort. I modified a recipe I found on SMF and these were completely gone at the end of the cocktail hour we had in the neighborhood last nite

Here is the recipe
    Spiced Nuts Modified

2 TBS Warmed Bacon Fat ( we keep a container in Fridge for gravies etc)
    40 oz Mixed Nuts
    1 Cup Brown Sugar
    1/3 Cup Tapatio
    1/4 Tsp Chipotle Powder
    Heat the fat in a Wok add Nuts to coat then add the remaining ingredients until sugar melts and nuts are well coated
    Add
    1 Tsp Dry Mustard
    1 Tsp Chili Powder
    1 1/2 Tsp Red Pepper Flakes
    1 Tsp Cayanne Pepper
    1/4 Cup Honey

Stir together and simmer over med low heat for 20 minutes stirring regularly. Do Not Walk Away - This will burn in a heartbeat
    Remove to pan with holes to allow smoke to penetrate and smoke for about 4 hours

Here they are waiting to cool and firm up

2. adiochiro3

adiochiro3 Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Looks really good.  I've got a hankering to try smoking nuts, but my wife just thinks I'm nuts for wanting to smoke everything.  Three questions:
    1. Was this a cold smoke deal (below 100*) like cheeses, etc. or a more traditional 225*ish smoke?
    2. Did you start with raw nuts or factory roasted?
    3. Does all this clump together like peanut brittle and need to be broken up, or is it less "brittle" when finished?

3. scarbelly

The smoke was at 225

The nuts were from Costco - Mixed nuts about $11 for 40oz

It does clump to some degree but is pretty easy to break up

Your wife sounds like mine did when I first started smoking - This morning she was helping me with the sausage we made - she helped make a rub and pulled the membrane off the back of some ribs we are doning for her friends who are coming for a 3 day stay

Once she got into the smoker mode it has been great - I think the smoked nuts and  cheeses I do really hooked her

4. Do you have to hot smoke them?  I've look at other methods that cold smoke for 4 to 6 hours.  Any thoughts?

5. scarbelly

I think this one really needs the heat to dry out some of the liquid, otherwise they might be too sticky  

6. desertlites

desertlites Master of the Pit OTBS Member

I agree with ya on the hot smoke,it does tend to dry them out to pretty much perfection.After dozens of batches of these nuts I'm always being asked to supply more.

7. cami

cami Newbie

Hey is the Tsp  Table or tea  spoon???? Thanks   OK I got it figured out !! Sorry for the stupid Question!!!

Last edited: Sep 7, 2012
  8. scarbelly

TBS - Tablespoon

Tsp - Teaspoon 

9. daveomak

daveomak Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

[​IMG]...  and I'm using it...... Thanks...  Dave

10. or as my sister said when she was a kid, "tibbles and tisps".

11. roller

roller Smoking Guru SMF Premier Member

OK so you beat me to it Gary but I will get around to it..lol  They look great ! I am going to use pecans because I have a yard full of them...

Yes nuts are better to me when hot smoked because it crisp them up to a great texture...250* for about 2.5hrs..

12. sfwmson

sfwmson Newbie

These look amazing. I make pounds and pounds and POUNDS of nut brittle (every kind you can name) for family and friends. Do you think smoking the nuts and then just making brittle would allow the smoke flavor to shine? Or is it that you sort of make candy from the nut mixture then smoke THAT that gives them the flavor?

I primarily use raw nuts to make brittle (but have used dry roasted and even regular old cans of planters) so any advice on time to smoke raw nuts?

13. sqwib

sqwib Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Scar looks great.

I just done some a few weeks ago but haven't posted yet...after all I am in the presence of someone that knows their nuts...err I mean who can really smoke nuts....hell I give up, you know what I mean. You're the Nutmaster.

... Man no matter how I type nuts it still doesn't come up nice..

Anyhow great Job.

I'll try to post my nuts next week DAMN there I go again!

14. scarbelly

I personally think that any smoked nut is a great improvement on an already good food. You might try this recipe and instead of breaking it up right away, spread the nuts out into a single layer and it may form like a brittle. Be sure to post up your results so we can all learn
    LOL - Joel had the same problem a while back with his Wasabi nuts post [​IMG]

15. jimf

jimf Meat Mopper

Scarbelly has wasabi nuts? Ouch

16. I usually use tsp for teaspoon and Tbsp for Table spoon

17. indy smoker

indy smoker Newbie

18. indy smoker

indy smoker Newbie

Duh! New at this. These look awesome. I will definitely try. Thanks for the recipe

19. indy smoker

indy smoker Newbie

Made these today. Great combo of sweet and heat. Everyone should try. Thanks for the recipe

oxman likes this.
  20. maxgunner

maxgunner Fire Starter

Do you think a little less sugar would keep it from clumping?  I'd like some sweetness with the smoke, but not looking for a "clump" of nuts.