Spatchcocked Chicken on WSM

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mkriet

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Dec 21, 2015
Dayton, OH
Tried my second run at spatchcocked chicken on the WSM smoker.  I used a commercial rub, and rubbed under the skin and on top the skin.  I also placed a couple pieces of stick butter under the skin on the breasts.  I smoked for about 2 hours, and the skin came out nice and crispy.  I used hickory wood for smoke.  I lightly coated with BBQ sauce at the end.  

Reactions: mike5051
It turned out great. It was the color I was looking for, had great tenderness, and was nice and juicy. It turned out well.

I'm almost wondering if it might be better cooking it without the skin on since the flavor of the rub doesn't really get to the meat. Also,the chicken doesn't pick up a lot of smoke either. Any thoughts?

Brining or injecting can help get flavor in the meat,how much wood did you use I get plenty of smoke on chicken are you sure the wood is burning? Maybe the sauce over powered the smoke? I haven't smoked skinless chicken if you do I suggest brining or sticking to dark meat.

I smoke chicken on my WSM and it comes out too smokey.  I use hickory chunks and smoke at 275-300 till IT of 165 in the breast.  I've never wished for more smoke.  Anywhoo! That is a nice looking bird!  

Mike

I smoke chicken on my WSM and it comes out too smokey.  I use hickory chunks and smoke at 275-300 till IT of 165 in the breast.  I've never wished for more smoke.  Anywhoo! That is a nice looking bird!  

Mike

Mike, try some apple. The hickory might be a little heavy on the smoke. Also, if you can get the heat a little higher, the bird will get done a little quicker and not be in the smoke as long.

Sorry for the hijack, Joe.

Mkriet, yours looks really good with a great color.

Thanks guys. I typically smoke pork, but it's nice to change it up with some chicken. I think jerk chicken will be the next bird on my smoker.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky