Spatch cock chicken

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Notice there's no probe in the bird.  When I was getting started, I knew I was going to wind up having a late dinner, so I left out the meat probe in my rush.  I had to open it to stick it in at some point and that was it.  

The temps usually bounce right back, I've left them alone and also gave myself and friends a peak, the end result is usually the same and times aren't very different.  

Last edited:
Sure looks good to me! 
drool.gif
  Nice & moist 
thumb1.gif

Reactions: hardwater
I've been doing these awhile on my weber kettle, this was only my second on my ECB... My first was with out the mods I added.  This one went much smoother.  I love these chickens, they are a big hit with the folks I tend to feed.  I do think I could work on making the skin more crisp to the bite.  I might just have to roll it around some searing coals for a few one of these times and see what happens. 

I've been doing these awhile on my weber kettle, this was only my second on my ECB... My first was with out the mods I added.  This one went much smoother.  I love these chickens, they are a big hit with the folks I tend to feed.  I do think I could work on making the skin more crisp to the bite.  I might just have to roll it around some searing coals for a few one of these times and see what happens. 
The bird looks awesome! For less rubbery skin try raising the temp in your cooker. If you're running with water in the pan, lose it. Anything over 300˚ will do the trick. I usually shoot for 325˚-350˚

And I always peek in my smoker. I try to limit it to once or twice. Lately I've been too lazy to bother with the Maverick, and too absentminded to bring the Thermapen out with me when I'm smoking, so I tend to open it quite a bit at the end to check for doneness. Haven't noticed an increase in cook times. I think the prohibition on opening the smoker probably dates back to the days of the big cinder block pits where the whole top opened up.  With smaller cookers the recovery time is so short there's no real problem with the occasional peek.

Reactions: hardwater
The bird looks awesome! For less rubbery skin try raising the temp in your cooker. If you're running with water in the pan, lose it. Anything over 300˚ will do the trick. I usually shoot for 325˚-350˚

And I always peek in my smoker. I try to limit it to once or twice. Lately I've been too lazy to bother with the Maverick, and too absentminded to bring the Thermapen out with me when I'm smoking, so I tend to open it quite a bit at the end to check for doneness. Haven't noticed an increase in cook times. I think the prohibition on opening the smoker probably dates back to the days of the big cinder block pits where the whole top opened up.  With smaller cookers the recovery time is so short there's no real problem with the occasional peek.
Bottom.gif

pb.gif
 Stop peeking.

I agree on the hoter temps to get a good crispy skin

Happy smoken.

David

Loks good from here,Hardwater. How do you like the Raw Sugar
icon_question.gif
 I feel it is much better that Brown or White processed Sugars. Doesn't burn and blacken like the others. I like to sprinkle it on Ribs to finish them ; nothing else, makes them nice with a nice Mahogany color.

The Corn... try rubbing "Mayonaise" all over it under the hysk, then smoking it, don't laugh... it's great.
icon_eek.gif
   Don't use the MW stuff; Nasty flavor from that stuff.
ROTF.gif

beercheer.gif
 , here's to good Smoking...

Have fun and as always . . .

If you're feeling really froggy, there is a video on YouTube for reverse spatch cocking. I would post a link, but I'm new and I guess that's not allowed... Anyway, might be something new to try in the pursuit of the perfect chicken.

Last edited:
I love the raw sugar, if I didn't have a bunch of Jeff's rub mixed up with brown, I'd of used it on the bird rub.  I used on a pork butt and will never go back to processed sugar as soon as I'm out of this super batch of Jeff's Rub

I'll have to try the Mayo trick and no I wouldn't use miracle whip, stuff would gag a maggot. 

Txtimetraveller, PM maybe? I'd love to see the vid.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky