Spare Ribs Rubbed and Ready!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

brentczech

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 26, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
I am attempting to smoke some spare ribs tomorrow.

I will be using mainly lump charcoal with a apple chunk every now and then.

This is only the second time I have tried to prepare spare ribs. I have trimmed them down to "St Louis style and applied the rub. They are now sitting in the frig awaiting tomorrows slow and low heat.

I used "Pig's Ass Rub" on one rack and the following rub on the other.

4 tbsp turbinado sugar

3 tbsp kosher salt

1 tsp sweet paprika

1/2 tsp garlic powder

1/2 tsp black pepper

1/4 chili powder

1/4 cumin

dash of cinnimon

I plan on starting these are noon (PT) tomorrow.

The sauce is TBD, I might feel ambitious and make one from scratch (probably not though)

BrentCzech

I have no clue why this picture is posted upside down.

2736df38_Spare_Ribs.jpg

Brent, they are looking great so far. Can't wait for the QVeiw.

As far as the picture, I'm not as talented as Al and standing on my head gives me a head ache.
biggrin.gif
 When you go to post the picture is there a way to rotate it first? Or maybe one of the Mods can do it for you.

Update...

The spare ribs have been on the smoker now for 2 hours. I am keeping the heat going well, right about 230 or so.

I have only peeked once and it looks like things are going good. I did probe a small piece of pork from my trimmings and it is right about 140 degrees.

The plan is to stay on the 3-2-1 method.

I will posted a QView right before I wrap them in foil. Here is a picture of how I heat up my lump charcoal. I have small children so I need something safe, quick and easy.

I turn the propane grill on blast and place coals over the hottest part of my grill. 5-10 minutes later my coals are toasty.

BrentCzech

25d3200e_heating_coals.jpg

Well, I am to the 1 stage of 3-2-1. It will probably end up being more of a half hour. The ribs looks done and smell great.

I applied sauce to 1 rack since the wife doesnt care for bbq sauce. I hope the taste as good as they look. I did take the rib tips off about an hour ago and tried one. I was really happy. Moist, tender and a good smoke flavor.

Here is a picture. I will post more when I slice into them.

BrentCzech

9b4ca00d_Post_foil_pre_sauce.jpg

FINISHED PRODUCT!!!

Well my spare rib adventure has come to a close. Overall I am pretty please.

The ribs were tasty and real tendor. The meat did not "FALL" off the bone but pulled away from the bone very easily. I have been snacking all day (rib tips, trimmings, etc) so I was only able to put down 6 bones worth.

I give them an.......... 8.3..... Very good not great. I did not use much apple wood but I sure could taste the smoke. Right off the bat next time I would be a little more generous with the rub.

Here are some pictures. Plenty of leftovers so I will be eating a spare ribs and tips for the next 3 days which I have NO problem with.

thanks for all the suggestions. I feel like I am making some headway in my smoking department.

BrentCzech

The slab on the left is the "Pigs Ass Rub" the rack on right is the rub I made which was much sweeter but not much "bite".

5b52e8f6_ribsonboard.jpg

80354ba6_ribsfinished.jpg

112bd4c5_rib_closeup.jpg

Maybe that pig was from the South Pole?  Could be why that first pick was the way it was????   I mean, just sayin'..... 
rolleyes.gif

On a serious note, those ribs look very nice!

Just my very humble opinion, but if you want more of a pink smoke ring, a little more smoke during the cook will give you that.  But if you're fine with the smoke taste... then you're good to go.

Nice job Brent!

-Salt

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky