Spare Ribs - Has this happened to you?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

foozer

Meat Mopper
Original poster
May 21, 2007
Huxley, Iowa
I did a rack of spare ribs on the smoker yesterday (I did get some pictures and will post when I have a chance to resize them) but, when I went to remove the membrane I only found a piece about 1/2 the size of a dollar bill. I spent another 10 minutes trying to locate the rest of it but could not fine it so I went ahead and cooked it. The ribs turned out great
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif
so I am guessing that most of the membrane had already been removed. That just seemed really odd to me.

i agree fooz...........does seem strange........but what the heck......go with it..........

where did you get your spares.........and was you able to get a full rack.......my hy-vee down the block always carried some crap called bob evans style of spares.........cut up into 5-6 bone peices........and they are CRAP...........cant find a full rack of spares to save my life

WDude,

Bought the spares at Fareway. That is where we buy 75% of our meat. love the full service meat counter. Yes we did get a fill rack actually bought 3 of them. Last week my wife picked up 3 boston butts at Hy-Vee. Now we need an extended warm spell to fix some of this meat or else we will have to buy another freezer.

warm spell for what........i have been smoking all winter long..........one smoke i started at -7

tuffen up dude..........crap.......forgot.......you a cyclone fan.........figures.......BWHAHAHAHAH

When I buy them from a store , I can find the membrane and peel it off. But I have found a BBQ joint close buy that will sell me uncooked spare ribs like they use , allready trimed St. Louis style , and I havent been able to find the membrane on those. I think its allredy been removed.

WD:
I get my meat from Walmart here in Mesa. I don't remember buying any ribs and such from Walmart when we lived in Iowa because our local farmer supplied our meat "off the hoof" but I am buying Tyson pork and I am sure they have it at the super stores there in WDM
PDT_Armataz_01_18.gif
I have yet to buy a bad piece of meat from them and I buy beef, chicken, turkey, and pork with the Tyson brand on it.

I read a report on Drudgerport.com today that said Tyson was going to raise their prices due to "whatever" so the 13 dollar for 5 pounds of pork spareribs is probably going away
PDT_Armataz_01_02.gif

stay safe troopers

Get out and smoke! My first smoke was earlier this month at -13 when I put the butt on.

Be careful with those hy-vee butts. If you got the Hormel ones for .99 a pound? They are up to 12% solution so if you rub them go easy on the salt.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky