Spare Ribs and Pork Butt

Discussion in 'Pork' started by smokemaster, Feb 21, 2007.

1. smokemaster

smokemaster Smoke Blower

Last nights prep.
    [​IMG]

Rubbed with
    Southern Succor Pork Rub

1/2 cup freshly ground black pepper
    1/2 cup paprika
    1/2 cup turbinado sugar
    1/4 cup coarse salt, either kosher or sea salt
    4 tsp dry mustard
    2 tsp cayenne

[​IMG]

Started cooking at 0900. Had problems getting the wood burning. Started with 3/4 full chimney of lump, then added 2 large pieces of oak. Next time I'll use smaller pieces.

I have a new charcoal grate. I was losing too much charcoal through the grate
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Everything is going well. temps have settled.
    [​IMG]

2. cajun_1

cajun_1 Master of the Pit OTBS Member

smokemaster, for my "silver smoker" I made a basket for my charcoal/etc. The ashes just fall to the bottom and the fire doesn't smother itself out.

[​IMG]

3. smokemaster

smokemaster Smoke Blower

4. cajun_1

Please tell me more about the gasket..What did you use? Also about the tuning plates.

5. smokemaster

smokemaster Smoke Blower

The gasket is like this stuff http://www.woodstove-outlet.com/gasket1.htm

As you know the Silver Smoker (SS) cooking chamber is 35" long and 16" wide.

My baffle is 14" wide 12" long and extends under the first tuning plate 4 1/2".

[​IMG]

There is a 1 1/2" gap between the baffle and the front of the chamber and 1/2" on the rear.

[​IMG]

Tuning plates 1 & 3 measure 13 3/4" x 10 1/4" and #2 is 13 3/4" x 7". The tuning plates are 3 3/4" above the bottom of the chamber. There is a 1/2" space between plate 3 and the right wall.
    [​IMG]

6. cajun_1

The tuning plates I have not done, but seeing your's, as soon as the weather warms up and I uncover it,,I'm going to do that. The gasket is a good idea also. I remember smoke comming out between the 2 peices.
    Thanks.