Spare Ribs and Pork Butt

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokemaster

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Dec 20, 2006
Germany
Last nights prep.

Rubbed with
Southern Succor Pork Rub

1/2 cup freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup paprika
1/2 cup turbinado sugar
1/4 cup coarse salt, either kosher or sea salt
4 tsp dry mustard
2 tsp cayenne

Started cooking at 0900. Had problems getting the wood burning. Started with 3/4 full chimney of lump, then added 2 large pieces of oak. Next time I'll use smaller pieces.

I have a new charcoal grate. I was losing too much charcoal through the grate
100_1330.jpg

100_1331.jpg

Everything is going well. temps have settled.
100_1334.jpg

smokemaster, for my "silver smoker" I made a basket for my charcoal/etc. The ashes just fall to the bottom and the fire doesn't smother itself out.

PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Please tell me more about the gasket..What did you use? Also about the tuning plates.

The gasket is like this stuff http://www.woodstove-outlet.com/gasket1.htm

As you know the Silver Smoker (SS) cooking chamber is 35" long and 16" wide.

My baffle is 14" wide 12" long and extends under the first tuning plate 4 1/2".

There is a 1 1/2" gap between the baffle and the front of the chamber and 1/2" on the rear.

Tuning plates 1 & 3 measure 13 3/4" x 10 1/4" and #2 is 13 3/4" x 7". The tuning plates are 3 3/4" above the bottom of the chamber. There is a 1/2" space between plate 3 and the right wall.

The tuning plates I have not done, but seeing your's, as soon as the weather warms up and I uncover it,,I'm going to do that. The gasket is a good idea also. I remember smoke comming out between the 2 peices.
Thanks.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky