Spare Ribs "5 and Up"

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

melleram

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Feb 4, 2009
Missouri
I just bought some boxed spare ribs that are 5 and up, for .69 per lb. I am wondering how tough they will be?

I agree with Rbranstner with the 3-2-1 but I have changed mine to 3-2.5-.45 and that's my way. The 3-2-1 is just the generic way and you can change it in any way you want to.

$0.69/lb
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif
5 and up are huge. If you don't trim them they may take longer to get the degree of doneness that you like. As stated above 3-2-1 is a guide line. My last ribs were 3lb racks of BB and I cooked them 2.5-2-1 because of the size

MellerAM, I bought some ribs similiar to what you are describing a few years ago and the butcher told me when I bought them they were from older hogs, larger bones and stringier-tuffer meat. I bought them anyway, found them to not have the fat content of the smaller ribs. Cooked them 3-2-1, cooled, sliced, placed in roaster oven and took to work to reheat the next day for dinner. They were fair at best, tuff and stringy and wouldn't release from the bones. Haven't bought any big slabs since.

Hope you have good luck with yours and keep us informed.

I wish you all the luck in the world on this adventure. on personal experience I've had 2 boxes of these and no matter what I done, nothing. the dogs loved them however!!

uh oh...my wife thought she found a steal on ribs...ended up being 5 up ribs....anyone else have any luck with these and should I give 3-2-1 a shot or just throw in a crock pot?

I need all the help on these ones.

I recommend you rub them and cook them 6 hours at 250* then start checking for probe tender. If they're not tender wait 30 min and ck again. Repeat as necessary until tender. When tender sauce or apply dry rub. Wait 15 min and re-sauce. Cut and eat with beans you had under them for the last 2 hours.

Last edited:
Welp.. gave em a shot yesterday...Smoked for 3.5..foiled 2.. and back on for 45minutes as they were done at that point. Although the taste was as usual, they were stringy and a lil bit on the chewy side.

Live and learn....we'll make these for our boys as they eat anything, as for us, we'll stick to regular spares.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky