Spare rib slabs .99 a pound

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

3montes

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Dec 26, 2007
Beautifull shores of Lake Superior
Haven't been able to find large spare rib slabs other than Walmart so far and I am not buying the Wally slabs. They don't even look good in the package. Floating in solution. One of the stores I want to last night had advertised "Pork Back Ribs" at 3.99/lb. I assume these are baby backs. They were all trimmed up and cut into single serve pieces already.
I called a local market today and they told me they were getting slabs of spares in tomorrow. 3 to 4lbs per slab at .99 per pound!! Untrimmed.
So being new at this and have not shopped extensively for smoker meats is this a super deal? Should I stock up the freezer? How long will these stay in the freezer before you should use them up?
Supposed to reach near 30 degrees here Sunday so I am thinking a slab of spares before the big game.

Buy em all!!!
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

What Bubba said...
If you've got the freezer space then load 'em up...if you don't...I'll give you my address...

Cheers,
Brian

What they said.........buy as many as you can store.

If they are the cryovac pacs, those will keep for a long, long time. Otherwise, food saver them.........will keep for just as long as cryo. If just regular grocery store quality wrap job, then wrap them in some extra plastice wrap and/or butcher paper and you should get a couple of months out of them.

Last time I found them at that price, I got 77 lbs of them........because that was all they had.
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif

SWEET!! I will look them over tomorrow. No sense in over buying what I will eat and wind up throwing them out in a few months. But if they average 3 to 4 lbs per slab I think I will go for about 8 nice slabs..
Thanks all!!

Try and pick out the smaller ones closer to the 3 lb range and also the ones with the smallest bones and buy all you can handle.

10-4, not sure why they are called ribs, but they are pretty tasty. My wife likes them better than ribs so I fix her the country style and I get the rack of ribs.

Wow, that is a great price, don't stop buying till the frezer is full! Here in So. Cal. they're going for about $1.49 a pound. Not bad... but not great.

WOW 99cents A pound ... GREAT price, I would buy 3-slabs cook one , & if you got a vacum sealer that is a great way to freze ,,,, freze the other 2... if you don`t have a vacum sealer wrap them in alot of saran wrap 1st then you can use frezer paper and write on frezer paper what the product is & date it so you can pull out later dates 1st !!! hope that helps...

picked up 23 lbs today at 99 a lb-trimmed to st. louis style-lotsa of pig candy-still room in the frezzer,Frys had chuck roast on sale so grabbed 20lbs. of that also-gonna be a grinding kinda day tomarrow-love my ground chuck.

talked to BJ's about a case...80 bucks for the case and it has like 8 - three packs in it...or something close to that.... got all excited and went there after work.... all out of ribs.... something about a big game....

ship me a pick up load of them would ya....

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky