Spanish Octopus in red wine.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

moikel

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jul 26, 2011
Sydney &Greenwell Point Australia
This is not smoked but does have chorizo.Its part of the wino's section as well.

Take one large O'pus ,red pepper,4 cloves of garlic,2x chorizo ,onion,chilli,bay leaf,smoked paprika,red wine.Tomato paste 2 x tabs.

This guy was 1.5 kg.

Will get back to you in an hour with method rushing my fast self off to gym. Its in a low oven in a cast iron dutch oven.

Back.This has had an hour & 20 in a low oven.

Bad photo but great taste. Sometimes I add black olives but not tonight. I am out of rice! Son of a rice farmer to boot
33.gif

Not going out now.I will sub something ,sweet potato most likely.

Better shot.

Method. I fry 2 chopped chorizo in EVO then remove it . Cut O in bigger bits fry in the pan drippings .Seperate pan chopped bell pepper,onion,garlic, EVO ,CBP. When that has softened ,splash of red wine to deglaze. Then combine everything in the one Dutch oven,healthy big slug of box red wine. Add bay leaf, 2 fat tabs tomato paste give it good stir ,chilli to taste.I had a little container of chilli paste that came with Lebanese take away ,waste not want not.
Then it was in the oven & I went to the gym.
I went out & bought everything,forgot rice, couldn't find a Spanish red Iwas happy with ,so I bought a home grown wine from Barossa Valley , Schild Estate . Grenache, Mouvedre & Shiraz.,with the bigger component old bush vine Grenache .Very Spanish ,saw lots of it in the border country of Southern France. Great summer drinking .

Nice job on the O  Moikel; one of my favorites. The Chorizo must have put that over the top, have to remember that next time. Cheers!

Fantastic!!! We're only 14 hours apart right? What time should I be over??? Beautifully done!!! Cheers!!! - Leah
Glad you liked it. I think the precious O'pus I cooked in the Normandy style were a better critter.They were from Tasmania,cold water,tighter skin.This guy was local. 

Now that we are almost into summer,today tipped to be 37c ,I will char grill some fisherman's style soon.

Well EACH version sounds fantastic!!!

As you can see via my signature (and post from last Thursday) octopus is on the menu throughout many a week.

But YOURS, looks like it even smells fantastic too!

That really looks spectacular!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And we're 14 hours time zone wise (apart) and about 22 hours via a flight, and so I'll just start salivating now...SMILES...but really, your food just looks sensational!!!!

Cheers to that and to today!!! - Leah

I have to admit, octopus looks terrible to me. Tastes great but looks terrible. I suspect yours is wonderful with both methods.

Disco

I have to admit, octopus looks terrible to me. Tastes great but looks terrible. I suspect yours is wonderful with both methods.

Disco
Yes they arent cute & cuddly ,just tasty. Except the blue ringed Octopus, very tropical looking ,electric blue rings when pissed off which is just before it bites you
devil.gif
.You then die within maybe 20 to 30 minutes unless they get the anti venom into you pronto."

Only the size of your palm,inshore rock pool type.Signs up at the beaches everywhere warning people about them.So pretty people think" that will look good in my fish tank " if it stings you you have a whole lot more to worry about in a frighteningly short period of time. Dont know what they taste like
biggrin.gif

Oh man Mic you're making me jealous!!! I have to get back to the islands soon so I can have a good supply of Octopi! I'll take a big
plate if what you cooked up, extra tentacles please!!!!!

Oh man Mic you're making me jealous!!! I have to get back to the islands soon so I can have a good supply of Octopi! I'll take a big
plate if what you cooked up, extra tentacles please!!!!!
Glad you liked it. Its a great thing very little waste easy to clean,dense ,white flesh,takes flavours well.

I think over summer I might experiment with a hybrid salad.Boil,drain,cool, then chargrill it & put a dressing over it.Lots of lemon,garlic,parsley ,chilli .EVO. I need a dish or 2 to take to friends houses over the Xmas period. 

Lot of cold seafood dishes eaten here for Xmas ,bit hard to have the big roast bird when its 37 to 41c.

Once again, If I were to stay at a SMF members house for a weekend, it'd be yours! I love trying new things and you're living it up where you're at. Love your threads, keep em coming!

Once again, If I were to stay at a SMF members house for a weekend, it'd be yours! I love trying new things and you're living it up where you're at. Love your threads, keep em coming!
Glad you liked it.It being summer next week I will be cooking accordingly so my threads will be more about lighter style things with hopefully lots of seafood.Until what passes for winter down here arrives again.

I might do a few Thai salads with chargrilled kangaroo as the meat,lots of fresh herbs,watercress,lime juice,raw peanuts & bits sort of a "larb" in Thai.(I THINK
biggrin.gif
)

Well I'm indeed looking forward to your continued posts and plates of fantastic food! We share an adoration for octopus and kangaroo as it is, and I am sure I'd love the rest!!!

Cheers to today!!! (It's a frogs' legs day over here - delicious)! - Leah

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky