Spachock Time

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jgibb

Original poster
May 11, 2014
I am planning on spachocking my turkey for Thanksgiving. What is the cooking time? I'm doing the bacon butter turkey and am brining it in a buttermilk brine. I usually smoke it around 225-250. Any tips? 
77.gif

Hey just did my first turkey for practice last Sunday. I am a spatchcock fan for life now after having great luck on chickens. My 12# bird reached 165 in 5 hours at 240 degrees. This surprised me as it seems like some others have had faster results, hopefully some others will chime in with their experiences. I most likely needed to rotate mine more as I had one breast that didn't get done with the rest of the bird which lead to the other getting a little dry, probably more like 5.5 hours for this breast. Likely will quarter them for the big day. Best of luck!

Last edited:
jgibb, hello. Put your Probe Therm. into the Breast deep without touching bone. Cook to the reading is 165*F in the breast and the legs and thighs should be 170*F.

Do Not , I repeat ,  Do Not , go by time , let the heat run the therm. up , it may only take 5 hrs. , but do the temp. thingy...

And if at all possible , leave you door shut . Get 'Blue' Smoke ( and keep it ) then put the Bird in and leave it alone to soak - up your love...

Have a great Holiday , and as always . ..

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky