South ga newbie

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smithjs

Original poster
Jan 14, 2014
Hey ya'll, been a long time fan of the site, can't really tell you why I haven't joined before now, but I've found a lot of great information and knowledge here. I live in eastern in South Ga, a little town called st. Marys. I've been smoking pork for about 15 years, I've cooked for thousands of people over the years and there ain't nothing better than watching people hurt themselves over my smoke. Along with that and my wife's Cole slaw recipe (which its been said many times, to my wife, "don't even like Cole slaw and but this stuff is awesome") I've seen a lot of belts get loosened up after eating.

Currently I'm using a char-griller, w/smoke box, to smoke (a fact I'm not proud of but until I get the power company out to run a 220 in my shop for my welding machine its what I have, and I can get four butts on it comfortably). My plan is to build a smoker like I made in Virginia with some mods. It was a 150 gallon tank, I think, but I had to leave it since I kinda never planned on moving it when I built it, but this new build is going on a boat trailer.

I won't smoke any meat that isn't brined, I'm a believer in a good brine. If its meat, I brine it. I've seen the results with and without, and everyone always enjoys eating regardless, there is always a little more buzz when there's a brine. At one local event last year a guy actually called me a bald face liar, that was probably the best compliment I've ever gotten. He wouldn't believe I cooked what he was eating in my back yard, he has asked several of my friends where I bought the pulled pork from. All he knew was it wasn't Sonnys..lol. so funny.

Well that's enough for now gotta go check my temp. Glad I finally joined.

[h1]
texas.gif
Hello and welcome from East Texas. This is a great site, lots of information and great people that are willing to throw in their two cents worth on about anything.   
[/h1][h1]  [/h1][h1]Gary[/h1]

Welcome aboard! We usually head down your way a couple times a year to St. Simons and St. Mary's is on my list of places to visit. Looks like a great town. I saw an article not long ago about hog hunting on Cumberland which really intrigued me. Ever done it?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky