Sous Vide Top Round (Tender Test)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Hey Bear! It's been a while! I'm just visiting back to check in on your prime rib instructions from many years ago because I'm smoking two for Christmas :D

Glad to see you're into Sous Vide... it's been my obsession for the past few months. Just wanted to add my experience with top round -- I just did two last week. I marinated mine for 24 hours in oil, vinegar, worcestershire, soy sauce, A1, liquid smoke (*gasp*), maggie, garlic, and onion. I threw it in the SV for 8 hours at 130, then seared it on the grill. My wife and I were absolutely in love with it. I wouldn't say it was fork tender, but it was not difficult to chew at all.

The second one I did, I only marinated for about 15 hours and my wife and I agreed that we liked the flavor much better with the 24 hour marinade. It seemed like the meat itself didn't have a whole lot of flavor. With the marinade it turns out like a cross between roast beef and beef jerky. This is my new favorite cut of beef because it's so lean, it's very low in calories and packed with protein, and I don't get burnt out eating it like I do with ribeyes because of all the fatty richness.

Anyway, just thought I'd share my experience with a shorter cook time! Merry Christmas!

That looks Great, Turick!!
Have you tried an "Eye Round" yet, like my Step by Step in Post #19 (above)??
I think You'll like that one even better.
Like.

BTW: Here's a Prime Rib I just posted yesterday:
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/50th-wedding-anniversary—prime-rib—hickory-smoked-panned.282442/

Bear

I haven't, but I just saw some eye of round at the store the other day and almost grabbed it. Looks like it's even leaner... less calories and slightly higher protein, which is what I'm after so I'll have to give it a shot!

I haven't, but I just saw some eye of round at the store the other day and almost grabbed it. Looks like it's even leaner... less calories and slightly higher protein, which is what I'm after so I'll have to give it a shot!

That Eye Round is my favorite thing to SV, and I find it the best for doing Hot Roast Beef Sammies with Gravy, at a low price.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky