Sous Vide Double Seared Venison Back Strap with Mushroom & Black Pepper Demi-Glace Sauce, Roasted Brussel Sprouts and Steamed Carrots

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

indaswamp

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
Apr 27, 2017
South Louisiana-Yes, it is HOT
Got the call from my Cousin on shift at the firehouse, "Come eat." I said, "Ok, I'll bring a salumi board."

Loins out of the Sous Vide bags, cut into 2" steaks ready for second sear on the ends...
IMG_20220918_170343.jpg

Seared in butter...
IMG_20220918_171318.jpg

IMG_20220918_171326.jpg

The Roasted brussel sprouts with bacon, mushrooms, feta cheese and parmesan with just a touch of pepper jelly to tame down the saltiness.
IMG_20220918_171536.jpg

The Plate on fine china:
IMG_20220918_171748.jpg

IMG_20220918_171752.jpg

Sooooo Tender!! Perfectly cooked!
IMG_20220918_172108.jpg

Outstanding meal. 5 Star!

The board:
IMG_20220918_164626.jpg

Only thing missing was a really good bottle of wine, which would have happened had we not had this meal at the firehouse!

Last edited:
Got the call from my Cousin on shift at the firehouse, "Come eat." I said, "Ok, I'll bring a salumi board."

Outstanding meal. 5 Star!

The board:

Only thing missing was a really good bottle of wine, which would have happened had we not had this meal at the firehouse!
Oh man I can taste that thru the screen. Great work

Reactions: indaswamp
The Board Starting top left going clockwise: Wild Boar Coppa di Parma, Wild Boar Lonzino di Calabria, Sopressatta di Veneto, 2 year aged Black pepper Coppa, 18 month aged Breasola, Spanish Chorizo and the king of cheese-Parmesan in the middle.

Last edited:
Sounds great !!
Thanks Jax! Making room inda freezers. Season is not that far away!

Oh man I can taste that thru the screen. Great work
Thanks BB-que. All the accolades go to my cousin. Only thing I did was finish the sauce with butter while he seared the steaks for plating.

Interesting - you sear twice meaning once before and once after sv?
Yes. The loins are in 6-8" sections which are seasoned then seared on all sides prior to putting into the sous Vide bag. Technically- you are not suppose to sous vide meat below 131*F.....BUT; you CAN if you sear the entire surface to pasteurize the surface (I will not entertain a debate on this. I had lengthy private discussions with chef jimmyj on this topic.). In the bag, In the bath for 3 hours. Then a rest for 10 minutes, then slice and sear the cut end. For me, venison is best at 127*F. So tender you could damn near cut it with a fork.

Last edited:
Yes. The loins are in 6-8" sections which are seasoned then seared on all sides prior to putting into the sous Vide bag. Technically- you are not suppose to sous vide meat below 131*F.....BUT; you CAN if you sear the entire surface to pasteurize the surface (I will not entertain a debate on this. I had lengthy private discussions with chef jimmyj on this topic.). In the bag, In the bath for 3 hours. The a rest for 10 minutes, then slice and sear the cut end. For me, venison is best at 127*F. So tender you could damn near cut it with a fork.
Got it

That's an excellent meal all the way around. I haven't roasted Brussel sprouts in a minute so I'll have to do something about that soon...

You lost me at brussel sprouts, lol

Can not get into them ,

The rest of the meal and the board meats , great

David
You know....I was never a huge fan of brussel sprouts. But trust me when I say that oven roasting does something to them and transforms the flavor...takes the bite out of them. Almost nutty flavor even. And with all the other stuff....the bacon, fetta, mushrooms, parmesan and a touch of pepper jelly...well, they really are good.

Last edited:
Reactions: DRKsmoking
I feel you on brussel sprouts, but over the last 6 weeks I've managed to make them palatable since starting keto. I steam mine for about 10-15 minutes, then liberally salt and pepper and sear them off in bacon grease and eat them with bacon. For me, I thought it was the steaming that killed the bitter but it might just be the searing. Roasting would be even easier.

I'm going to pick up some feta next time I go a groceryin' because, well, damn that sounds and looks good.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky