Source for natural casings?

Discussion in 'Sausage' started by gunslinger, Oct 20, 2006.

1. What do you think?
    Also, anyone know how to proccess them if there not all ready.

2. dutch

dutch Smoking Guru Staff Member Administrator Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

3. You’re down south enough, they should be in your local supermarket (maybe not the big chainstores) they should have hog or sheep casings readily. If not, the internet is loaded with lots of sausage supply sites, check your local butcher, he might sell you smaller quantities. [​IMG]

4. I normally get them done when I have a hog butchered, but the proccessor said they are going to stop doing them.
    I thought maybe I'd start proccessing my own hogs.

5. az_redneck

az_redneck Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

6. There is a site called the Sausage Maker (www.SausageMaker.com ) that has all kinds of casings, flovors, instructions, etc.

7. cajun_1

cajun_1 Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Gunny ... Good to see you again ... It's been a long time.

8. pigcicles

pigcicles Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

You might want to check the date on post cajun.. 2006. False alarm.

9. richtee

richtee Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Geez... I looked the other day for him. I feel diminished for never having the opportunity to meet him- as of yet.

10. cajun_1

[​IMG] Thanks PC ... how did that happen? ... Still miss Gunny's posts [​IMG]

11. cajun_1

Rich ... Gunny is one hellava guy. His posts were always informative. I would supect most his post/threads are in archive now.

12. richtee

richtee Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Have read many. And learned much. Hoping to thank him!

13. cajun_1

I'm sure he would appreciate that.

14. jerrykr

jerrykr Meat Mopper

I second Dutch's recommendation. So far, I like the DeWied brand best. There are a number of web sites out there that sell them, so you might shop around, taking shipping into consideration of course.

Other local sources for me at least are:

Cabela's
    Bass Pro Shops
    Academy Sports

I prefer the DeWied, but if in a pinch, I can go out to these stores and get a package.

-=- Jerry -=-
    http://homesausagemaker.blogspot.com/

15. shellbellc

shellbellc Master of the Pit OTBS Member

I thought that he was back too!! He and cowgirl would probably have a lot to talk about and compare!

16. deejaydebi

deejaydebi Smoking Guru

OH DANG IT!

Here I click the link holding my breath hoping Tom came back to us, but some how I knew I'd be disappointed! [​IMG]

I miss you Tom! [​IMG]