sour smell from curing chamber

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kristje

Original poster
Mar 22, 2012
Calgary Alberta
This is my first attempt at with my curing chamber, I made 25 pounds of spanish chirizo and during the fermenting prosses there is a strong sour smell coming from my curing chamber temp was at 68 and humidity was 85% neither went one point off the set temp and humidity. is the sour smell normal or did something go wrong

it doesnt smell bad but being my first run im not too sure so i am hoping it is all good. also i am starting to see a little bit of white mold starting to grow wich is supposed to be good. just not sure about the smell

Bit more info would help. What recipe, starter culture. 85% R/H sounds kinda high.

Last edited:
Temp and humidity look great.
Did you use the T-SPX culture?
25 lbs. of chorizo fermented at 68 degrees and 85-90 percent humidity for 3 days can give off a sourish fermented smell.
That's not abnormal.

Last edited:
Really need to make my own curing chamber and make some pepperoni!  LOTS of pepperoni!  One of the things on my to-do list that I haven't explored yet!

There shouldnt be any mold on the chorizo unless you used mold 600 solution. F-RM-52 should be used in this application.

Here is what it should look like....Sorry dont mean to hijack your thread.

fd7c3cf3_spch.jpg

7f5180f2_spch1.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky