Sorry, one more question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

coachwalrich

Fire Starter
Original poster
Aug 25, 2014
Cleveland, OH
Ok, prepared the brisket and ribs with Jeff's rub...sitting in the fridge

Have a 8lb brisket and about 4 1/2 pounds of ribs

Going to put the Brisket on in the AM and the ribs around noon...

I have a gas Master Forge Vertical Smoker

My questions:

1. How much wood chips should I put in the tray?

2. Do I refill at any point?

3. Do I have to soak them?

4. Do I need to put more in when I put the ribs in?

5. Do I put any water in the water tray?

Thanks for helping a noob  out.  I am taking picture of the process, so I will post!

Thanks,

Jeff

If you aren't accustomed smoked meat, a good rule of thumb is to keep the meat in smoke for about half of its total smoke time. With hickory, I wouldn't do it for any longer than that. Too much smoke can be bad, too little can be dealt with. Add chips as necessary to allow each cut of meat exposure for 50% of its cook time. Water in the tray wouldn't hurt. Brisket and ribs can be susceptible to drying.

Ok, prepared the brisket and ribs with Jeff's rub...sitting in the fridge

Have a 8lb brisket and about 4 1/2 pounds of ribs

Going to put the Brisket on in the AM and the ribs around noon...

I have a gas Master Forge Vertical Smoker

My questions:

1. How much wood chips should I put in the tray? I use chunks. For chips I do about 1 cup at a time
2. Do I refill at any point?When you stop smelling the sweet smoke smell. usually every few hourse
3. Do I have to soak them?I dont
4. Do I need to put more in when I put the ribs in? If it needs them
5. Do I put any water in the water tray?In the water tray yes and refill as needed.

Thanks for helping a noob out.  I am taking picture of the process, so I will post!

Thanks,
Jeff

Thank you again...

So I have put on the brisket - I have an iGrill  and I just placed the probe on the rack and through the air gate - don't know if I should have done this...

The Igrill  is reading around 300 degrees, but the temp gauge on the Master Forge is reading between 215-220???

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky