Sorry for posting on the wrong forum Fermenting meat

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

aquacanis

Original poster
I am an avid producer of pro biotic cabbage,   AKA Polish sauerkraut made the natural way.

Now, that being said, Sauerkraut is made from "lactobacillus" that overcomes the bad bacterial in cabbage with the use of salt.

So now can I use some lactobactilllus liquid to inoculate my sausage so it ferments?  

I hope some one can help here.  Sausage ferments seem to be very expensive.

I would think to be safe that you would need to use the specific cure/fermenting aid for your product. It may ruin your product or worse yet do you harm. Bactoferm F-RM-52 and Bactoferm F-LC have lactobactillus in them but what percentage to what you have sounds like a crap shoot ?

Thanks for the input crazymoon.  From what I have always understood about fermentation of any kind with lactobacillus is that it only can go as far as the sugars (and other bacteria foods) in the meat or vegetable your are fermenting will allow it to go, so it is pretty safe from that aspect.  Any chemists out there in the smoking world?

Sugar (dextrose) is added to the mixture to give the added lacto a jump start on the other bugs. Then it eats the sugars from the meat.

I've not heard of using kraut juice as the added lacto before.

Last edited:
I've read about guys using yoghurt to ferment sausage. I've never done it..I dont really see a problem with it as long as you achieve the desired reduction in pH. Cant speak as to the resulting flavor.

Be very careful with your experiments.... could be dangerous if there is contamination in your product.... Inevitably it might be cheaper to purchase the proper product....... Dave
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
What is it?

Lactobacillus is a type of bacteria. There are lots of different species of lactobacillus. These are "friendly" bacteria that normally live in our digestive, urinary, and genital systems without causing disease. Lactobacillus is also in some fermented foods like yogurt and in dietary supplements.

Lactobacillus is used for treating and preventing diarrhea, including infectious types such as rotaviral diarrhea in children and traveler's diarrhea. It is also used to prevent and treat diarrhea associated with using antibiotics.

Some people use lactobacillus for general digestion problems; irritable bowel syndrome (IBS); colic in babies; Crohn's disease; inflammation of the colon; and a serious gut problem called necrotizing enterocolitis (NEC) in babies born prematurely. Lactobacillus is also used for infection with Helicobacter pylori, the type of bacteria that causes ulcers, and also for other types of infections including urinary tract infections (UTIs), vaginal yeast infections, to prevent the common cold in adults, and to prevent respiratory infections in children attending daycare centers. It is also being tested to prevent serious infections in people on ventilators.

Lactobacillus is used for skin disorders such as fever blisters, canker sores, eczema (allergic dermatitis); and acne.

It is also used for high cholesterol, lactose intolerance, Lyme disease, hives, and to boost the immune system.

Women sometimes use lactobacillus suppositories to treat vaginal infections and urinary tract infections (UTIs).

There are concerns about the quality of some lactobacillus products. Some products labeled to contain Lactobacillus acidophilus actually contain no lactobacillus acidophilus, or they contain a different strain of lactobacillus such as Lactobacillus bulgaricus. Some products are contaminated with “unfriendly” bacteria.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky