Some UDS questions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

johnwash

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Aug 22, 2014
How low can i get my uds to that it still operates normally (i have a big poppa)(i wanna do sausages)?

Whats a good way to catch drippings?

Whats a good way to catch ash?

How low can i get my uds to that it still operates normally (i have a big poppa)(i wanna do sausages)?

I can run mine all the way down to 170 or so but I cook everything at or around 225. You could rig up a pizza pan under your basket like the top photo. I have a home built and this is how I made my basket. Do you have two grate levels? If so you can put a disposable aluminum pan on the lower one or do this. I wouldn't use the wifes good corningware casserole like I did here though. 

Last edited:

Also you should not have any drippings when doing sausage. If you do they are done. Over done for that matter. I start my sausage out in my little cheif and then when I need to get up to UDS temp I move it to there. Kind of a pain but that is what I have to work with. Do you have a picture of the smoker so I can see the intake setup?

I dont want a drip pan for sausage but just for general use

I suggest you rethink that coal basket in there and somehow add an ash pan. I would hate to have to constantly clean ash out of my drum all the time. You will just have to experiment with the smoker to see how low it can go. I have an actual valve for my air and can make micro adjustments to get the temp where I want it. I don't see why you could not add another grate level in there. Just use some machine screws and a 22 inch weber grate. Then you have something to set your drip pan on.

Next thing I would do is read, read, read, on sausage making and then read some more. You kind of want to know what you are doing before you get started. Lenpoli is a good site for sausage. Just google it. There are a few other ones as well. They also have very good books out on the subject.

I have the basic BP kit and built the enhanced kit with the ash pan.

What i like for a ash pan is putting something on the bottom to catch drips or ash so I took a UDS flat lid (or use the bottom) cut off the outside rim and then bend up the edges all the way around....put on a hook to pull up the pan to empty. *** note that it can go many cooks before you ever even need to pull up the pan to empty...maybe 5-10 cooks depending on length. When time to empty I just carefully pull it past the obstacles. 

For low temp just light a small basket and then just a few red hot coals on the edge of the basket....use a small amount of vent and that's it.  You'll experiment and figure out how to get 150*  area if that's what you want to achieve. 

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky