Some beef!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

meowey

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jul 16, 2006
Northern NY (Adirondacks)
Folks,

This week, I decided to head in a direction other than pork. I picked up one of these babies at Sam's Club on Saturday. I think I'll be able to smoke it on Tuesday.

Pic of label.

beef_07_01_08001.jpg

Pic of whole beast

beef_07_01_08002.jpg

I'm planning to rub it with EVOO, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and smoke it with apple at 225-240°F. I'm going to pull it at 145°F for medium-rare. Any thoughts or comments??

I will post on-going q-view on the day of the smoke in this thread.

Take care, have fun, and do good!

Regards,

Meowey

Okay..I all ready see the problem..in the pic..it shows a frying pan and not a smoker..take it back and get the one with the smoker on it..

should be great..every thing I read is they are good with out much spice, rubs, ect ..enjoy..remember to sop when you place it on the cutting board..

Sounds like a great smoke to be had for ya on Tuesday, Meowy. Definitely looking forward to watching the progress of the smoke.

The smoke had to be moved up to Monday. If you start driving now, you might make it. I'll save some leftovers for you! LOL

Regards,

Meowey

That's the exact cut I usually use for jerky. There's a tough as nails sinew that runs thru the middle of it.. Honestly, I'd open it up, remove it and re-roll with some cotton string. When I jerky it, I'll lose around 2 lbs sinew and whatnot from trimming.

Well folks,

Here is the q-view. Rubbed with EVOO, seasoned with S+P and a little granulated garlic. Smoked with apple, and spritzed with AJ and CM.

Seasoned and waiting for the smoker to come up to temp.

beef_07_01_08003.jpg

3 Hours In

beef_07_01_08004.jpg

Ready for slicing

beef_07_01_08005.jpg

Here's the beef. Richtee, I did cut the sinews out of the slices - not too much waste.

beef_07_01_08006.jpg

Picture perfect plate with sauteed mushrooms, cucumbers and onions, potato dumplings and "sauce"!

beef_07_01_08007.jpg

Wow, did we ever enjoy this meal. All parties have requested a repeat.

Regards,

Meowey

WhooooWHEE! That's just purty as all get-out!

Good call on the sinews, and you need not trim "roast beef" anywhere NEAR as tight as jerky. Don't want to really... need the bit of fat, etc.

Nice Meowey!

It's really a simple pan sauce. I put an aluminum pan under the grate the roast sat on. When I pulled the roast to rest, I pulled out the pan. I put some of the magic Apple Juice/ Captain Morgan's spiced rum into the pan and scraped up all the brown bits. I dumped that into a saucepan, added some water, a bay leaf, some salt and crushed black pepper. Brought it up to a boil and whisked it to break up the bits, and let it simmer for about 5 minutes. I then strained it into a bowl, wiped out the saucepan, added butter, melted, added flour to make a roux, cooked that for about 1 minute. Then the strained liquid went back into the pan, and some more whisking took place. I also added the juices from the foil that the roast rested in to the "sauce".

It was great on the potato dumplings.

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Meowey

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky