So, what tomato is this??

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

flash

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
Mar 30, 2007
Chiefland/Cedar Key, Fl
This year I planted Juliettes, Jelly Bean, Patio Hybrid and Supersteak Hybrids.

The long slender one is throwing me. A little longer than your thumb. No Supersteaks in this photo, the rounder ones are a Better Boy from my neighbor and the Patio Hybrid. Little guy is the Jelly Bean and the Roma looking one is the Juliette.
Anyone familiar with the unknown tomato?

Speaking of the Supersteak Hybrid. This is my second year with them and WOW. This is a hamburger tomato. Makes a great BLT also. My neighbor said I would be lucky to get 2 or 3 since they can get pretty big. I now have 16 of them on one plant.

I believe it would be a plum tomato, great for making tomato/italian sauce.

Looks like a long plum to me.
I have to say you got me jealous right now. My plants went out late, cherokee purples are the first one to have started to bloom but they all still have a long way to go before I can even pick any fruit.
Currently I have 53 tom plants in the garden with about 30 more to go.

My first reaction when seeing the bottle top on the tomato on the plant was that it was a supermarket sticker
icon_mrgreen.gif
. I got a good laugh out of that.

I would guess a Roma as well.

What are you doing/using to keep the grass and weeds so under control?

I am not a big fan of Roma's, buying the Juliettes instead. Very prolific and flavorful.

I was looking for a quarter actually but the beer bottle top came into view first
icon_mrgreen.gif

I had just picked some Roma's from my garden (that has WAY too much grass and such---how is it yours is so clean?) but I'll have to try the Juliettes next year. I like prolific and flavorful, and the Roma's are prolific, but not very flavorful really raw (better when reduced in a sauce though).

See the last photo I posted. I sometimes will put down some newspaper first, then cover with hay. Sometimes I just use the hay.

I almost agree with the concensus that it's a Roma but.......it also could be an Opalka. I used to plant Romas' until I found the Opalka at Jung's Seed Co. The Roma seems to fall from the vine before they ripen. The Opalka stays on the vine until you pick them. They also seem to be a little more meaty and fewer seeds than the Roma. Better for salsa and thicker sauces......
wink.gif

My thought is with what was previously said, a plum tomato is what it appears to be, to me.

Good looking plants you had this year, Flash. Glad to see the good looking results!

Jimr,
We had 35 roma plants this last year and thirty or so the year before...I agree with you, we find a lot of Romas on the ground. The Opolka's you get from Jung's; seeds or plants? I would like to try some this year. We use the romas primarily for making & canning salsas and sauces and canning whole for winter soups and chilis, so the "more meat and less seeds" sounds good!

Dang, my spring fever just flaired up a bit. Green grass and tomatoes, I could look at these pictures all day!
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif

Gotta move South, girl.

I've been nursing a dozen tomatos and a dozen and a half peppers since last fall. Mostly seedlings and in pots, so I can bring them in when it freezes (we've had two this winter so far and tonight may be a third).

Put about 10 peppers in the graound last week in the 70's so they are under a sheet with a heat lamp tonight.

No production yet, but hopefully in a month or so............

The herb garden goes year round! Except sometimes the basil if is gets cold like this year.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky