so we are at this party tonight.....

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smoked

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Dec 14, 2006
Everett Washington
and, I know most of you have encountered this....but we showed up with a smoked meat and cheese tray....I offered a hickory smoked chedder cheese along with two types of canadian bacon, one smoked with alder, the other with a apple/hickory mix, and then there was my summer sausage I made also....hickory smoked as well..........so we show up and put out our spread.....and everyone there hits it hard....I mean hard.....munching big time even thou there was ..... gag..... commercial meat and cheese next to it......anyway, mine got gobbled up quick, really quick.....and of course I had a ton of folks begging me to sell the stuff to them......how many times does that happen to everyone else?????? don't you get tired of telling them "no I'm not gonna sell it, but........if you buy the ingredients or trade something else I can do this or that...." well apparently after tonight I'm supposed to get many calls on trades......and most of it was my summer sausage that I just pulled out my rear.........oh well........ was very happy that the meat and cheese was a big hit..........
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif
was worth every minute of being up all night mixing and smoking and slicing....... hope everyone else has the same reactions to their smokes!

There's nothing wrong with gaining some revenue to upkeep smokin supplies.

But I understand. Sounds like you really wowed them!
Keep up the good work!

All the hard work doing "Great BBQ" does seem to win over a crowd who does'nt get it weekly in their "diet"..Keep up the good work..Start fillin those orders!!!!DB BBQ

Isn't that a great feeling. I love it when folks go ga-ga over my pulled pork. I had some people say I should open a retaurant. But to me it's not about making money but more about the love doing it. Friends will have a party and want me to bring the pork to the party and ask me to a few days before. It's not like you can just whip the stuff up. They don't realize the time all of us put into smoking.

I recently posted two smokes that I did for a charity fund raiser.

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/for...ead.php?t=9680

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/for...ead.php?t=9929

The folks who attended raved about the food. Several thought I should open a BBQ establishment, or cater. My reaction to the praise is that I enjoy smoking, and sharing it with folks that appreciate it. I thanked them and asked that they come back the next time and bring their friends so we can raise even more for the charity.

I made a career of my first love - music. I don't enjoy it as much as I did 25 years ago because I am involved with it every day. I wish to keep my other "hobbies" as hobbies. It's not about making money, but rather about enjoying the things you do. I hope this makes sense.

Take care, have fun, and do good!

Regards,

Meowey

I get the same reaction with summer sausage, meat sticks, venison bacon, etc. I offer to share the recipe with them and if they wish to take the time they are more than welcome to come over and learn the process's we do the next time we are making the items they are interested in making for themsleves.
No one has taken me up on the offer yet, it seems most just want you to make it for them.

I think meowey said it best, keep it a hobby if you want to continue enjoying it instead of making it a job with deadlines, money involved and customer expectations.

Smoked,

Good job on WOWing them.

I get a kick out of asking "can I bring anything?" and they say "That Brisket you did last time was great, how bought some of that again."

I need to work on smoking some cheese .......

You folkes have it right. Meaowey and Flattop as you both stated ...most people want their taste buds tantalized and their fingers sticking with sauce but some simply do not understand how much time is involved....from driving through hazardous traffic, parking lots, and finally the 3 or 4 different trips around town to find the best meat to finally the kill in the store...then home to clean up the meat the butcher forgot to do and then the ...and so on and so on. Pretty awesome hobby and to get rave reviews is great....I save all my energy for family, friends and WOW them with somthing a little different than we ussually have. To see the smiles of satisfaction and the ooo's and awe's is reward enough for me. To be honest there are a lot of people out there that claim they know nothing about it but I would hazard to guess that most at least know that it is very time consuming and the ones that are asking for someone to make it for them simply don not want to invest the time or simply couldn't be bothered. Great pics of your smoke....and I too one day hope to become as good as many of you on this site ! Cheers to cold beer, red wine and smoked meat!

Very true! The best way to ruin an enjoyable hobby is to turn it into a business. It works for some, but for others like me, I'm keeping it an enjoyable passion.

Congrats on the great reception to your food.

You know....You may have inspired someone at the party to aspire to take up smoking and get in on all the fun and good eats!!!! Good job!!!!!

My neighbor is a deputy who had a party for 40-50 cops and teachers. He's a puppy for anything off my smoker, he gets REAL friendly when he smells smoke (you don't smell a heck of a lot of wood smoke in the Keys). I made up a huge batch (huge to me, 3 big butts) and 1.5 gallons of my NC sauce, store bought cole slaw and buns and Dutch's beans. Donated the lot to him, made a lot of good police friends (valuable).
Anyway, he went and spent some $200 on the typical burgers, dogs, chips, etc that someone on a budget buys for a party.

Untouched.

The poor guy, had a grill full of food and no takers, they were ALL OVER the BBQ. Anything smokey goes with a beer and a party, but this was sad! Fresh hot NC style pork was the clear winner. His friends were quite happy, he was out some money.......felt really good for me to see strangers pounce on something you made and ask about it, the time involved, the "I used to have a big smoker......" stories. Sort of stole the party for a very short time so I walked back to my house. (with a smile)

Awesome Keywesmoke...... big smile for sure I bet. Just the fact that one can do someting up is worth the effort to get that ...oh my God...man these are good ! Just a bonus to have that many cops on yer side now !! Saw a post on yer bike...wicked !!!! If you smoke anything like that bike looks...I've got a long way to go!!!!!!!!!!!! Cheers
BADSS

What a Team man .... not too many ladies out there that would pilot that unit ...ahemmmm....not too many men that would ride somthing that crazy!!!! Been wickedly fast on 4 wheels but two????? Thats almost insanity....so you are the easy going one in yer family ? I must say that I salute you both!!!!!!!
Ray

Ray it's actually one tire for the first eighth mile, front doesn't come down until 900 feet.....
Yeah she's a sweety and has a lot of fortitude. Look for Karen at NHRA events!

So just curious...how long does it take for her to come down from a run on that? !!! I don't know if I would actually get on that thing and I am no stranger to speed...in fact I Wouldn't get on that thing! I've got a sky box at Castrol Raceway in Edmonton and I watch the nitro Harleys all the time and I've even got a few buds who are running dragsters and blown funny cars and when these guys and gals come up to the line the place just sort of falls silent and we watch in awe as to how wild these things are and the proverbial question always comes out , "why would any sane person want to do that?" LOL. Only a true speed freak would ride something that hairy. If I am ever at an event down your way I will definatley come and say hi. Stay safe!

well I don't know if you mean physically (1/8 mile) or mentally (Tuesday).
In the south the drags are mostly 1/8 mile and they're almost all on one tire, you steer by literally getting off the bike and leaning one way or the other to crush the sidewall of the back tire (it's only got 4.5psi) so the bike stays in the groove. I'm waiting for my first heart attack, any time now. All this while trying to get to 190mph in 1/4, 155 or so 1/8 mile and paying attn to your shift light.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky