So, tell me about these fatties...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

glenn j

Original poster
Dec 3, 2007
Wallingford, CT
Smoking newb here. I have an electric ECB and I've been having fun using it on the weekends as of late. On Christmas, we're going to suppliment our 20lb oven cooked turkey with a 4-6 lb smoked turkey breast. Now, I figure since I'll have the smoker on, I'll give this whole fatty thing a try.

I've read a few posts and gather there's a few ways to do this: Toss it on as is out of the package, do your best Ron Poppiel voice and proclaim: "Set it....and forget it!" Or, take the thing apart, stuff with cheese and reroll.

Is run of the mill breakfast sausage good for this? Could I use italian style links, cut, and then roll my own? (this thread kinda reminds me of college for some reason.....) About how long do these take to cook? Could I just leave it on with the turkey for say 4-6 hours?

Thanks in advance!

With a fatty you can dang near doing anything you want. Stuff it, leave it plain, breakfast, italian...........only limit is your imagination and what your taste buds like.

As for cooking, I would stick a probe in it and pull it when it hits 160 or so........but I suspect opinions will vary on that as well.

Good luck.

You've been given good advice. Cook it to temperature not to time but the 4-6 hours you mention would probably be too long.

I use hot italian link turkey sausage that I remove from the casings. You can use any type of sausage, chubbs, links, whatever.

The only other advice I'll give you is to make more then one if you want to have any chance of actually getting to taste it yourself!

Just about anything goes! Some do it straight out of the package or add a simple BBQ rub and some get elaborate with the mix and stuffing. A simple cream cheese and sharp chedder mix is my favorite stuffing/filling. I have to admit that I don't care for most prepackaged breakfast sausages. They either seem too salty or too fatty, not that I am trying to live forever or anything, but I do still use them. I try not to add any salt to the rub or stuffing mix to help compensate for the salt in the sausage.

Just some suggestions

Brine that turkey breast

Do up some smoked turkey legs, I reccomend a teriaki type brine, but there are several different brine formulas out there

Look into the Atomic Buffalo Turds ABTs (heaven on a toothpck!)

About the only thing worse than a near empty smoker, is a smoker not in use!

Truer words have never been spoken

And the same applies for the above mentioned ABT's make more than "they" can eat while your working on dinner, or you wont get any!!!

Fatty's are a must at our house. If my son knows the smoker is going to be lit he will create something. My first one I just took out of the package and put it on the rack. One of my favorites is to take a long chile type pepper and stuff it with cheese and wrap the fatty around it. My son makes one with scrambled eggs, hash browns and diced peppers. Any way you go you will be happy and hooked.

You could almost say, anything you can make into a meatloaf, you can smoke and turn it into a fatty. The sky is the limit, when it comes to combinations.

Thanks so much guys! I'll make sure I use the probe! I'll have to take some pics and share!

About the Turkey...we will brine both. We picked up a nice 5-6 gallon food grade plastic bucket last year. It works awesome.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky