So I'm just getting ready to dive into this.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mavrick813

Smoke Blower
Original poster
May 28, 2008
Hey everyone,

I'm Mike, from NJ and just getting interested in Smoking. I haven't gotten a smoker yet and am trying to decide on what to get. My Boss has a brand NIB Char Griller or something like that I can have. But.....

I was looking at the CharBroil Dual Door
http://www.charbroil.com/Consumer/Al...?ProductID=719

I know Free is always better. But if both were free which one would you guys want? And better yet, Why?

I'd like to start off on the right path here. And since I've never done Smoking before I'd like to make as few mistakes as I can. I figure biggest mistake I can make right off the bat is getting the wrong rig for my budget.

Which if I am buying it, is about $250.00

Thanks
Mike

Take the free one NIB.
You can always add another to your liking.
A wise man once told me that if someone offers you something for free take it, even if you don't want it, because next time he gives something away it might be something you really want and if he thinks you will say no he will offer it to someone else, FWIW.

hey mavrick, i have that exact grill (the not free one). I've found that using a charcoal base helps maintain a consistent heat. I'm going to practice a bit more and someday i'll work up to an all wood fire.

Welcome! My motto is "Free is for me" Get started on the free one. If you don't like it, or see something that you believe is more to your taste you can move on.

Hi Mike, I don't have either grill/smoker but am happy for anyone that wants to get into the art of smoking meat. You've come to the right place!!

As a newbie to smoking I recommend taking Jeff's free 5-day eCourse that's offered by the developer of this great forum. Will get you started off on the right foot and you'll have successful smokes in no time!

Glad you've joined us!
biggrin.gif

Holy WOW!
Quick responses! I'm a Member on about 25-30 other forums and none of them get responses as quick as that.

Just called the boss and will probably be taking a ride (40 Minutes) north of me to get the free one. If the boss is right it's the Silver Pro. Which seems to be very popular on here. I figure i can grab the Smoker, and hit lowes on the way back for a dryer duct, Steel Sheet, and Heat caulk, in order to do the more popular Mods.

Maybe even have it together and seasoned this weekend.

One thing I was wondering, Anyone got any links to good Temp guages I can mod into this, and maybe some digital probes?

Mike

Welcome to the forums. You'll find lots of nice people willing to help here. Great find on the free one and I agree GRAB IT you can always get another one later and once you become addicted like us you can use both for more smoking room
biggrin.gif

Congrats on the smoker and welcome to SMF. Hopefully you'll get it all seasoned up soon and be able to start posting some q-view!

Walkin those ones for the lid are perfect and reasonably priced.

I like the digital Probe Thermometer, but was wondering does anyone know of any that have more then one probe lead? Say one hand unit that has spots for 2-3-4 or more leads? That would be nice to have.

Mike

google the Maverick ET-73 Redichek..........it has two probes, one for meat, and one for the grill..........but i imagine, you can get another meat probe, and stick in the smoker spot

Nice find Walkin, For the price some of the dual Probed ones I was finding on google I can get 3 of these maveck ones. Now to find extra probes.

Mike

Edit: Thanks Tex Exactly what i was looking for..

Welcome to the forum. There are lots of friendly folks around here with tons of knowledge and ideas. Just browse through the threads and check out anything that catches your eye. Be sure to throw your two cents in anytime you can.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky