So I'm gearing up to cure another loin for Canadian bacon...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SherryT

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Dec 23, 2017
Crawford AL
Using Pop's Brine...

I brought half the water, salt/sugars, 1.5 tsp black peppercorns, and 1/2 tsp of ground cloves to a boil to dissolve the solids and bloom the spices. I then added the remaining weight of water as ice, stirred it until it melted, and stuck it in the fridge to cool down (when it cools to body temp, I'll add the cure).

When it's completely cool, I plan to mix a half-cup of the brine with a half-cup of honey and inject every inch (according to what I can find about it online), then finish up by immersing it in the brine as usual.

THIS TIME, I'm better prepared as far as smoking...got another therm so now I can monitor both the smoker temp AND the meat temp at the same time, use less wood chunks (a LOT less!), and pull it when the internal temp is 140 - 150 (I've seen both recommendations online...gonna split the difference and go for 145).

Sound like a plan?

It sure does!
Bobby Popcorn.jpg

UPDATE...

As I said in the first post, I added 1-1/2 tsp peppercorns and 1/2 tsp ground cloves to the brine, boiled, cooled, added the cure, mixed 1/2 cup brine + 1/2 cup honey and injected. 12 days later (today), I removed from the brine and did a test fry...honestly, this is good even WITHOUT smoking! It tastes like honey ham with a BARE hint of spice.

The next time, I'll double the peppercorns and perhaps triple the cloves to get just a bit more of that flavor, but I think this a keeper for "honey ham".

Plan on smoking on Tuesday (oak, IT to 140-145) after it's had time in the fridge to form a pellicle.

I'm so...jazzed! :D

I assume LS means low salt...no, but I did soak it for about 30 minutes or so afterward (will probably skip that step next time, though).

Yeah.. hooked. :D

I think Canadian Bacon gets pretty dry no matter what. I've done it to 150 and 145. Seems easy to overcook it though. So just a couple minutes fried on both sides seemed best.

Reactions: SherryT
145° is the safe Temp.
About 6 or 7 years ago, It used to be 160°, which was VERY DRY.
It was such an improvement when the USDA moved from 160° to 145° for being safe.

Bear

I totally forgot to post the final results (no shot of test piece or immediately after I removed it from the smoker...I'm still not used to taking pics of my food!)...

CanBac1-13Mar18.jpg

CanBac2-13Mar18.jpg

This smoke went much, MUCH better than my previous attempts...seems I hit the right balance of lit:unlit AND was able to get my temp under control (225-232) and keep it there until the IT hit 140 (I "think" it went for about 4 hours, give or take a bit...will have to remember to make a note of the start time in the future).

Only 6 briquettes left unburned and only a few salvageable ones.

It was delicious, but still a little too smokey (used 1 fist-sized piece of oak and one about half that size), but NOTHING compared to my first CB when I used 4 chunks of hickory for the entire smoke!

Blew the dust off my ancient electric knife, cut it up, and vac sealed 4 packs for the freezer.

I. Am. Happy. :D

Yeah.. hooked. :D

I think Canadian Bacon gets pretty dry no matter what. I've done it to 150 and 145. Seems easy to overcook it though. So just a couple minutes fried on both sides seemed best.
Smoke ~160-170* for a couple hours, then crank the temp. up to 275~325* to finish to 140*. Pull and let rest with probe still in. LEt climb to 145~150... rest for 10~12 minutes... It WILL be juicy....

Great looking CB. The level of smoke will come with time.

Point for sure.

Chris

Hey rings...if your smoker can't get up to 275~325* fast, After a couple hours of smoke I suggest pulling the CB and putting it in a pre-warmed oven to finish. <thumbs up>

As long as it's done enough to eat without cooking I think it's good advice.. get it out just at 140 and carry over temp will get it there. Might even go on a rack in the oven high temp for a few at the last 15 minutes hey?

As long as it's done enough to eat without cooking I think it's good advice.. get it out just at 140 and carry over temp will get it there. Might even go on a rack in the oven high temp for a few at the last 15 minutes hey?
It's the temp differential between the meat and the oven temp. that pushes the INT up so fast after pulling from oven. The outer surface is hotter than 140* and the heat equalizes upon resting....

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky