So I am at my local fleet supply....

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

3montes

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Dec 26, 2007
Beautifull shores of Lake Superior
Nosing around the grills and accessory section. Pretty thin selection around here this time of year. But anyhoooo I find these planks of wood. Hickory and alder were the two types they had. They were about a foot long and 4 inches wide. Came bundled in about 4 planks per bundle. I am reading the directions on the back and it tells you to coat one side with vegetable or olive oil. Place unoiled side on grate above coals or flame (propane) place food directly on oiled side of plank and cook keeping a eye out for plank bursting into flames. Remedy for this was to squirt plank and your food with water bottle.
confused.gif
Okay so I am new to this whole thing but I was totally surprised by this. My first impression when I picked these up off the shelf was you could split them into whatever size you would want as use them as sticks in your smoker. Has anyone tried these planks and what was the result?

Tried planks with salmon and all turned out good. I was grilling though. Not smoking. Have not tried it on the smoker.

These are planks for grilling/smoking not to cut up as wood to add to your charcoal.

You preburn the plank, lay your food on top, then put it on a shelf in the smoker or grill. It is supposed to add the wood flavor to the meat.

Alder planks are a great choice for fish, especially like it with salmon.

I used them once in a while, but I only use them for fish. They do add a little something to the flavor. By the way I never had them go up in flames. And they do stop the fish fromfalling through the slots on the greats(?). I've only used the Alder ones.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky