• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

So 30 lbs of sausage later?

indaswamp

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Apr 27, 2017
So let's say 144 to 150, for a hold of 30 minutes, does this include carry over as well?
What I do is once the sausage reaches 144*F, I start the clock. After 30 minutes, I pull them. The temp may continue to rise, and that;s ok. But at that point it's safe to eat.

smokinq13

Smoking Fanatic
Joined May 21, 2017
Alright so checked them and 90% of them were hitting between 144 and 148.. started counting and after 30 minutes into ice water bath:

20211023_154516.jpg

After 10 or so minutes in it out to dry and cool down more... how long do you guys bloom it? In fridge or not?

chopsaw

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Dec 14, 2013
Looks great . It might pick up more smoke flavor as it sits . Mine usually does .
You nailed the texture . That's the most important part in my opinion .
I store a chub to snack on in the fridge , wrapped in pink butcher paper . The longer it sits the better it gets . Got that tip from a meat cutter I go to . Told me it has to breath .

smokinq13

Smoking Fanatic
Joined May 21, 2017
Looks great . It might pick up more smoke flavor as it sits . Mine usually does .
You nailed the texture . That's the most important part in my opinion .
I store a chub to snack on in the fridge , wrapped in pink butcher paper . The longer it sits the better it gets . Got that tip from a meat cutter I go to . Told me it has to breath .
I gotta say, never understood what members were saying about it being juicy..
Now i do! This stuff is juicy, I'm gonna age/bloom it in the fridge for a couple days before vaccum sealing it and freezing, how long would you recommend for that, i like sausage that has a little toughness for a skin/outside of it too

chopsaw

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Dec 14, 2013
I'm gonna age/bloom it in the fridge for a couple days before vaccum sealing it and freezing, how long would you recommend for that,
I've done it all different ways . You need to hold it in uncoated butcher paper or a paper bag so it can breath . I keep the fridge I do this in at 36 degrees . I have a therm in there to read the temp .
Here's a thread I did on a test to further dry the chubs . https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/semi-dried-sausage.295866/

The german bologna I have in there now has been in pink paper since Oct. 2nd .

HalfSmoked

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Jun 11, 2015
Awesome by using a jerky gun. Nice looking finish.

Warren

smokinq13

Smoking Fanatic
Joined May 21, 2017
That "slice" pic is a money shot! Very nice looking sausage!
Thanks! I gotta say i was afraid of going all in with this kit, just in case i didn't like it or it didn't turn out right, but 30 lbs of meat later, I'm making plans for another batch for my next deer

HalfSmoked

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Jun 11, 2015
smoking13 Thanks for the like I appreciate it.

As said that is the great thing about this forum is you can always learn something new,

Warren

crazymoon

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Aug 24, 2014
Thanks! I gotta say i was afraid of going all in with this kit, just in case i didn't like it or it didn't turn out right, but 30 lbs of meat later, I'm making plans for another batch for my next deer
S13, Nice job on your SS,some high temp cheese and chopped jalapeno( 1 jar of Mt. Olive per 10 #) would be nice additions to your next batch!

bauchjw

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Aug 3, 2015
That is impressive. As a guy who hasn’t got into making my own sausage yet this is always impressive to see!

Latest posts

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.