• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

So 30 lbs of sausage later?

smokinq13

Smoking Fanatic
Joined May 21, 2017
Alright so i decide with the recent buck harvest i got, to make up a banch of summer sausage. And why do 5 lbs, 10lbs or 15... just do the whole 30lb!

Its about 9 lbs of pork butt to 21 lbs of venison. Grinded it all through the bigger plate then mixed in the cure and seasonings and water... through the smaller plate then. I don't have a sausage stuffer so i just use my jerky gun:

20211022_163400.jpg

So 10 3 lb rolls later i still had some leftover!
20211022_200730.jpg

So i guess my question is, i took the rest and stuffed some snack sticks, will these be any good? Is it fine to smoke along with the summer sausage?
Everything done:
20211022_212521.jpg

The reason i suspect i had leftover is becuase i added 24ozs of water and the kit( high mountain seasonings, hunter's blind) weights 2lbs total so maybe 1lb worth of seasonings and cure... i weighted out each roll to be around 3lbs so 10 X 3 lbs = 30lbs worth, how much the kit says it can do... 30 lbs of meat.

You live n learn! Tomorrow morning I'll be smoking them, more pictures and posts to be added! All comments and concerns are welcomed!

-smokinq13

pc farmer

Epic Pitmaster
Staff member
Administrator
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Feb 17, 2013
Looks good so far. Yeah the sticks will be ok to smoke with the big chubs. They might get to temp quicker thou. Keep a eye on the internal temps

indaswamp

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Apr 27, 2017
Yep.. Live and learn. Ambitious indeed stuffing 30# through a jerky gun! Bet your hands are sore! LOL! Just remember low an slow when you smoke so no fat out. Looking forward to the pics. to come..

smokinq13

Smoking Fanatic
Joined May 21, 2017
Yep.. Live and learn. Ambitious indeed stuffing 30# through a jerky gun! Bet your hands are sore! LOL! Just remember low an slow when you smoke so no fat out. Looking forward to the pics. to come..
About 4 hours later! I need to get a stuffer! I got a field and stream grinder that comes with the tubes to do it, but running already ground through it is a struggle!

indaswamp

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Apr 27, 2017
Yeah...a grinder does a poor job stuffing casings, and works the fat over too much IMO. WElcome to the wonderful world of sausage making. Ask away, we're here to help.

pc farmer

Epic Pitmaster
Staff member
Administrator
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Feb 17, 2013
Yeah. Don't stuff with a grinder. I have a heavy built haka stuffer. That isn't spelled right. Bit it was like 120 bucks.

thirdeye

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Dec 1, 2019
I didn't realize Hi Mountain had the branded casings. The company is about 120 miles from my front door, and their products are everywhere.

tallbm

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Dec 30, 2016
Alright so i decide with the recent buck harvest i got, to make up a banch of summer sausage. And why do 5 lbs, 10lbs or 15... just do the whole 30lb!

Its about 9 lbs of pork butt to 21 lbs of venison. Grinded it all through the bigger plate then mixed in the cure and seasonings and water... through the smaller plate then. I don't have a sausage stuffer so i just use my jerky gun:

View attachment 514199

So 10 3 lb rolls later i still had some leftover!
View attachment 514200

So i guess my question is, i took the rest and stuffed some snack sticks, will these be any good? Is it fine to smoke along with the summer sausage?
Everything done:
View attachment 514201
The reason i suspect i had leftover is becuase i added 24ozs of water and the kit( high mountain seasonings, hunter's blind) weights 2lbs total so maybe 1lb worth of seasonings and cure... i weighted out each roll to be around 3lbs so 10 X 3 lbs = 30lbs worth, how much the kit says it can do... 30 lbs of meat.

You live n learn! Tomorrow morning I'll be smoking them, more pictures and posts to be added! All comments and concerns are welcomed!

-smokinq13
Congrats on the buck!

I suggest you get a stuffer that does more than the amount you expect to do. So if you intend to do 10 pound batches get one that holds 11+ pounds.

I have a big one that holds about 22-23 pounds because I do 20 pounds at a time. Just know the bigger the stuffer the harder it is to stuff into small cases. You will need 2 people to stuff sticks and link sausage. Pushing 20 pounds of meat through a little tube = someone using hardcore strength with 2 hands to crank and 1 person guiding the casting and stuffed meat :)

I hope it all comes out well :D

indaswamp

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Apr 27, 2017
Just know the bigger the stuffer the harder it is to stuff into small cases.
Yep. I like a narrow diameter hopper body on a stuffer rather than a larger one. You can apply more force to a smaller surface area with the same amount of crank pressure. Avoid the large diameter hoppers....

smokinq13

Smoking Fanatic
Joined May 21, 2017
Alright up before sunrise:
20211023_070951.jpg

Tell you what, ryobi is becoming a great brand! I love all my cordless tools i got from them!

This thing makes cleaning the pellet grill a breeze!:
20211023_062827.jpg

Sausage on:
20211023_071232.jpg

It took up alot more room than i thought...
Plan is to keep smoker on the p setting for a couple hours, get the smoking tube going to apply some good smoke, and i might turn it up to 200, that's the lowest temp it'll go other than "smoke"

smokinq13

Smoking Fanatic
Joined May 21, 2017
Or should i smoke for a couple hours, both on p setting and smoking tube going and then into oven for more control? Like lower temperatures

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
Wow 30 lbs. thru a jerky gun!
You are the man!
They look really good!
Al

smokinq13

Smoking Fanatic
Joined May 21, 2017
Alright off smoker into oven

Snack sticks are done, some are way higher than I'd like but after a taste test or two, no fat separation... my oven only goes as low as 170 so I'll have to keep an eye on it, what internal temperature should i be shooting for?

indaswamp

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Apr 27, 2017
If you smoke them to 144*F internal temp. and hold it for at least 30 minutes, you can pull them.

This pasteurizes the meat and they are safe to eat. Will also be a whole lot more juicy.

smokinq13

Smoking Fanatic
Joined May 21, 2017
If you smoke them to 144*F internal temp. and hold it for at least 30 minutes, you can pull them.

This pasteurizes the meat and they are safe to eat. Will also be a whole lot more juicy.
So let's say 144 to 150, for a hold of 30 minutes, does this include carry over as well?

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.