Snacksticks have a pasty tatse

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pa42phigh

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jan 17, 2016
i made some smaller snack sticks with my summer sausage recipe and for a better word they leave a kinda pasty taste in your mouth.. I didn’t have this problem with the bigger summer sausages. It was supposedly 80/20 burger you think it was a bad batch of burger?? What could have caused this Funny taste thx

I could not believe the taste differences in the larger sausage compared to the small sticks

Like Dave asked, what's the recipe?
The first thing that came to mind when I read the title was the fat got warm and smeared.
Did you add a binder?

Last edited:
Reactions: pa42phigh
Like Dave asked, what's the recipe?
The first thing that came to mind when I read the title was the fat got warm and smeared.
Did you add a binder?
I will agree with dan you probabally had fat smear, keep meat and fat to near freezing temp.Bc of my grinder I can grind frozen meat and avoid fat smear altogether. Some of smaller grinders will not handle frozen meat.keep your grinder head in freezer also.

Reactions: pa42phigh
No I didn’t use a binder also I did not personally grind the meat.. so It could be what you guys are talking about.. thx
Ingredients
- 5 lbs. of ground beef I used 80/20
- 5 tsp. of Morton Tender Quick - 4 tsp. of mustard seed
- 2.5 tsp. of black pepper
- .5 tsp of garlic salt
- 1 cup of water

No I didn’t use a binder also I did not personally grind the meat.. so It could be what you guys are talking about.. thx
Ingredients
- 5 lbs. of ground beef I used 80/20
- 5 tsp. of Morton Tender Quick - 4 tsp. of mustard seed
- 2.5 tsp. of black pepper
- .5 tsp of garlic salt
- 1 cup of water
important to keep meat as cold as possible without freezing usually two hrs. in freezer will do, fat smear will give you that pasty texture and taste

important to keep meat as cold as possible without freezing usually two hrs. in freezer will do, fat smear will give you that pasty texture and taste

i think it kind of depends on the freezer and how much meat you are stuffing in it. we have one freezer that in 2 hours it would be completely frozen, and other one that 2 hours would be just getting stiffened up nicely. I dont know about everybody else, but I cube mine up into about 1.5 to 2" chunks and then lay it out in a single layer on metal cookie sheets and then into the freezers, I find that the side touching the cookie sheet freezes pretty fast so after a half hour to to 45 minutes on average I will take a spatula and flips the chunks over and this seems to speed the process and make for a more even freeze.

If we are quick enough we can usually get it through twice before I want it back in the freezers, but if not I will chill again between grinds or if I am going to run it through a smaller grind on the second pass it always works better for me if the first grind is froze/near froze and it flies right through with little effort.

i think it kind of depends on the freezer and how much meat you are stuffing in it. we have one freezer that in 2 hours it would be completely frozen, and other one that 2 hours would be just getting stiffened up nicely. I dont know about everybody else, but I cube mine up into about 1.5 to 2" chunks and then lay it out in a single layer on metal cookie sheets and then into the freezers, I find that the side touching the cookie sheet freezes pretty fast so after a half hour to to 45 minutes on average I will take a spatula and flips the chunks over and this seems to speed the process and make for a more even freeze.

If we are quick enough we can usually get it through twice before I want it back in the freezers, but if not I will chill again between grinds or if I am going to run it through a smaller grind on the second pass it always works better for me if the first grind is froze/near froze and it flies right through with little effort.
I do agreee each freezer is different my deep freeze is colder than my frost free I am just stressing to keep meat as cold as possible and also helps to put metal grinder head in freezer to keep sausage meat cold to avoid fat smear.If you have a commercial meat grinder of 3/4 hp I can grind my meat frozen without straining grinder to avoid fat smear.

I do agreee each freezer is different my deep freeze is colder than my frost free I am just stressing to keep meat as cold as possible and also helps to put metal grinder head in freezer to keep sausage meat cold to avoid fat smear.If you have a commercial meat grinder of 3/4 hp I can grind my meat frozen without straining grinder to avoid fat smear.

definitely agree, I dont know about others, but IMO the grinder is the last place to go cheap. now maybe there are some quality moderately priced grinders, but after the grief I got from trying to go cheap with the kitchenaid attachment I went right to a 1hp cabelas carnivore series and couldnt be happier... way more grinder than i actually need, but I can make a lot of sausage the rest of my life and I shouldnt ever have to worry about it not out living me.

definitely agree, I dont know about others, but IMO the grinder is the last place to go cheap. now maybe there are some quality moderately priced grinders, but after the grief I got from trying to go cheap with the kitchenaid attachment I went right to a 1hp cabelas carnivore series and couldnt be happier... way more grinder than i actually need, but I can make a lot of sausage the rest of my life and I shouldnt ever have to worry about it not out living me.
Jimmy I am chuckling bc I also started with the Kitchen Aid grinder attachment, what a joke.I then bit the bullet and bought a Torrey 3/4 hp with oil bath gears and have never looked back.

Reactions: jimmyinsd
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky