Snack Sticks - Check my plan?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

illini40

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Feb 12, 2017
Hello

I am anxious to try out my LEM 5 pound stuffer. My thought is to try to make some snack sticks.

Does my plan below sound OK?

- Ground beef 80/20 or 85/15
- Use pre-packaged jerky/snack stick seasoning and cure mix (unfortunately, all I have access to at the moment)
- Let sit overnight
- Stuff into 21mm casings
- Smoke on Traeger to IT of 152* ish
- Let air cool

I can only get access to these casings today. Will these work fine?

Also - do I stuff right after adding the seasoning/cure and let sit in the fridge overnight? Or, do I mix the seasoning/cure into the ground meat, let sit in the fridge overnight, and then stuff the next day before smoking?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Those stick casings will be fine.

Stuffing is up to you. Wont hurt to mix and fridge and stuff/smoke the next day.

When you have them stuffed let the sticks reast at room temp for an hour before you put in smoker.

As far as the meat goes, either will work.

My opinion on mixing and letting rest over night, I don't do it. The meat comes out very stiff, even with bringing it back to room temp. Can be hard to stuff without a lot of water to soften it. I will mix and stuff then let the sticks sit over night, but most times I stuff and smoke.

Just my opinion
Corey

Reactions: elsos
Like Cory said if you let it sit overnight it will get pretty stiff and be hard to crank. I would stuff then let the sticks rest in the fridge. Then start smoking early in the morning. I also like to spray some pam or some type of cooking spray in the cylinder and stuffing horn to start.

Reactions: justoldbobo
Don't let the the sticks air cool. You'll want to put them in ice water to get the temp down to under 100 quickly. For sticks, I stuff right away. And I also let them rest in the fridge over night before smoking. I would also fry a test piece before stuffing to ensure you have the flavor where you want it.

Reactions: pa42phigh
but most times I stuff and smoke.

This is the only thing I disagree with... no time for the cure to work it's magic...

Let me ask about your cooking process... what temps are you planning on cooking at ? Will your traeger go down to 120` as that is the temp you want to start cooking at ?? and then raise temps 10` every hour until you get to NO MORE than 175` cooking temp... and finish cooking at that temp until an IT of 152`...

Thanks everyone. I’ll plan on mixing and stuffing tomorrow, rest overnight in the fridge, and then smoke on Sunday.

I have a Traeger Pro 34. I realize I won’t be able to get down as low as one would like, but I’ll have to work with it.

I have to stuff sticks right away . My 5lb lem has a lot of use , and its just to hard on it if I wait a day . So I mix , stuff , and hold over night . Smoke the next day .
I let the sticks cool on the counter . I like them wrinkled.

I stuff the next day. If its too stiff just add a touch of water. Like get my hands wet and mix the meat. It dont take much to loosen it up.

So far so good. First time stuffing seemed go ok. I realized that I definitely need to rethink the best way to clamp the stuffer down if trying to stuff by just myself.

I used a Hi Mountain snack stick kit, with the casing included. I know this isn’t the best option, but it’s what I had access to so giving it a try.

I’ll let them sit in the fridge and then smoke tomorrow.

3lbs of ground beef. 1lb 80/20 and 2lbs 85/15.

B2CA0C9C-FDD0-40F4-8520-B0EBEF73EA1E.jpeg

So far so good. First time stuffing seemed go ok. I realized that I definitely need to rethink the best way to clamp the stuffer down if trying to stuff by just myself.

I used a Hi Mountain snack stick kit, with the casing included. I know this isn’t the best option, but it’s what I had access to so giving it a try.

I’ll let them sit in the fridge and then smoke tomorrow.

3lbs of ground beef. 1lb 80/20 and 2lbs 85/15.

View attachment 469724
Nice job .. did you have any blow outs?

I will be smoking these on a Traeger Pro 34. My plan is to run on the Smoke setting to try to stay in the lower temps.

I read somewhere about cracking the lid to try to keep temps even lower. Any thoughts or experience on that?

Also, should I put a water pan in to create some moisture? If so, any specific placement?

Nice job .. did you have any blow outs?

Not really. I heard what I thought was a blow out, but I didn’t have any meat bursting out. I did have one decent sized air pocket that I did have to prick.

Can you give more details on those?
For some reason I couldn't copy the amazon link, so you will have to scroll down the page sorry. They do work great

Reactions: illini40
What IT should I take the sticks to? I was thinking around 152*, but now I’m curious if I need to take the sticks up around 160*?

Thanks!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky