snack stick help

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

scwatrboyo1

Original poster
Jan 6, 2014
hey guys i use a MBE smoker for my snack sticks, follow temp control adjustments up to 180, but then for some reason my meat never tends to get done on the bottom half.  I have set up my smoker for hanging with three poles(I don't know what they're called). My problem is they only get done near the vent, but no where else.  My question is what am I doing wrong.  I don't want half of my snack sticks to be over cooked, some just right and others no where near done.  should i close my vent once I get to my final temp?? Thanks guys let me knwo

It sounds to me like you're losing too much heat out the vent on top. Try closing the vent a bit and see what that does. Temp probes at different points in the smoker will tell you a lot also.

Thats what i was thinking.  So I'm assuming I need to dry out first hour at 130, then add smoke and keep at 130 for the next hour.  then turn to 150, add smoke for an hour.  then 180 and close vent for the most part??  should I add chips while vent is closed or pass.  Also would it be a good idea to leave the chit tray out where smoke could come out the bottom??  just curious. thanks guys

After you have added smoke and it is just too cold out there is nothing wrong with using an oven for finishing to obtain even cooking temps.

How long are you making your sticks? Try making them shorter if they r on the long side . Also try keeping your high temp at 170 that way you dont fat out, and it will let your meat stabilize thr temp better. And lastly try putting a heat defuser in the bottom to disperse the heat a little better

i cut sticks into 29 inches, they hang at the top, so hang down about 14.5 inches.  also as far as a heat difuser goes, I have no clue what one would be or look like.  Can I make one???  thanks

Ya easy way is to put your water tray in there that way when the heat rises it rolls around that and disperse more evenly. When I do sticks in my mes30 I make them 19 inch that way when hanging they r 8inch each side . Hope this helps.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky