Snack stick advice

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

lownslow

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Mar 30, 2008
So I made some elk and pork sausage that was too dry. Used about 60%elk and 40% pork butt. I am thinking of stuffing into 19mm casings and smoking (with cure) into snack sticks. The question is - should I add more fat or does it just render out of the sticks anyway?

One way to keep more moisture in the meat is to add soy protein pieces. I think you should be aiming for a minimum of 15% fat ( hopefully someone else can chime in about this percentage)which you may not be getting depending on how lean the meats are.

is the soy protein sometimes called TVP (texturized vegetable protein)? The TVP I have seen here in health food stores is pretty small little brown bits, maybe the size of rice but more irregular. Or is this something I could only find in a sausage supply catalog.

Thanks for the link. I guess since I want to do them tommorow I will just add a little more fat and some cure and go for it.

Anyone else have any other suggestions?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky