Smoking with mayonaise ???

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bwsmith_2000

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jul 9, 2005
Santa Rosa Beach, Florida
Help me with my failing memory. A few weeks ago, I read several posts regarding the use of slathering mayo on meats before smoking. I thought it to be a very interesting thread and planned to follow up with a trial of the method. Now I can't find the procedure or any info on it ...... even with the search tool. Did I dream it or can someone help me find the thread/posts on this subject. Thanks for your help.

Dude,
Thanks a million! I thought I was loosing it. I'm definitely going to try the mayo on chicken this weekend. Sounds really good and I thank you for your help. Point to you.

I have a post in poultry section, Legs quarters and ABT's. I also used mayo on the chicken.
We use mayo all the time on our fish before frying. For any meat it helps with the spices to hold them too the meat, but it is also like an egg wash. Helps seal in moisture too.

Flash,
Thanks for the response. I have a freezer full of fish from my last trip out into the Gulf (all in vacum seal). I'll definitely give the mayo a try on the fish as well. Points to you as well. I really appreciate your post.

Ahh, I had not seen you were from Florida also. We love to use mayo on saltwater trout. Coat it well, but not gloppy. I then like to through it in a bag of Pankow or Uncle Bucks seasonings, then fry in Canola oil.
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

I don't think I will ever smoke poultry again without mayo slathered all over it. I went out and bought some real mayo too. I had previously used Miracle Whip.

I first brought this mayo thing to the forum several months ago. It makes a great color on turkey and seals the skin to keep the juice inside. It also works on chicken, it does look totally gross going into the smoke but comes out looking great. Works in the oven too and you can't taste it at all.
Jimbo

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky