Smoking with Maple

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

matts

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Apr 13, 2010
Central Illinois
I read in the wood list in Wiki that maple can be used and it almost acts like a fruit wood with a sweet flavor.  Maple is a pretty easy wood to get anywhere and was wondering if anyone has or currently uses it?  Do certain maples work better than others or is this a "any" maple deal?

Matt

Matt, I use maple wood in my smoker for flavor.  It's a silver maple that was growing in my front yard; it took a lightning strike in '08 and it died off.  It imparts a sweet smokey flavor to the food but it's not as sweet as the Sugar Maple.

Use any of the 4 that are tapped to make Maple Syrup- sugar maple(AKA hard or rock maple), silver maple, red maple and black maple.

great that makes things easy.  I am trying to collect logs to burn in my big rig and maple is plentiful around here and everywhere I assume.  That will give me something to start with until I find that mother load of the good stuff.  I don't want to pay for it, so I don't see that happening any time soon.

MMmmmmmmm

Maple tree in front of my house looks like it needs trimming now. 
icon_twisted.gif

Reactions: sbg101
Maple is my most favorite, but I can't really find any
icon_cry.gif
 I have lots of pecan though. I like hickory too.

A guy at work is selling truck loads of maple and cherry for $50!  I don't have a truck, or live close to my office, so he's gonna bring me about 30-40lbs of each to throw in the trunk of my car all for $5!
icon_smile.gif

Looking forward to using each since I've only smoked with hickory so far!

I use Box Elder which is actually a variety of Maple. Like the Silver Maple, the wood is weak and big branches are prone to break in the wind, so I took one down in my back yard and that gave me a pretty good supply.

I find it provides a mild smoky taste that works well with just about everything.

-walt

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky