Smoking with Chinese Elm

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

reekslikesmoke

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jun 5, 2009
I did a search and found nothing. Can you smoke with Elm? It appears to be very hard and heavy but I dont want to get sick from it. Thanks in advance.

Reek

Thanks for the quick reply RickW. I think I will still go get it and use it around the campfire then.

Reek

Hell, I might even use it IN the camp fire!!! LOL Sorry, after I reread my last post it kind of sounded odd.

Aireeek

I have Chinese Elms, also called Syberian Elms, all over my yard. In fact I just cut one down a few weeks back. They are useless trees. You can try to burn it for camp wood but DO NOTuse it in your smoker or indoor fireplace or wood stove. It can be used in outdoor furnaces.

As you said it is heavy, this is due to a high sap content. Once it drys it is like balsa wood. When you burn it the smell is like urine. Stay upwind!

The same for these lousy Buckeye trees here in Ohio.Worthless,stink and pops all to H---.The nut are fun to put in the fire on campouts, they explode
biggrin.gif

You guys paint such a prety picture of it !! Im glad I got lazy and never went and got it now. Although I was kind of looking forward to that burnt urine smell. Um Um.

Reek

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky