• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Smoking vs dehydrating????

stayhot

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Jul 12, 2011
I usually always smoke my jerky until done. Just wanted to see if anyone smokes for a bit then finishes in a dehydrator? Thoughts, comments??

smokerjim

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jan 14, 2014
i've made jerky a few times and used the smoker the whole time but there are guys that will smoke it for an hour or two then use their dehydrator, maybe some of them will chime in to help you out.

stayhot

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Jul 12, 2011
i've made jerky a few times and used the smoker the whole time but there are guys that will smoke it for an hour or two then use their dehydrator, maybe some of them will chime in to help you out.
I've made tons of it using only my smoker, just thought maybe 3-4 hours on the smoker than finish in the dehydrator?

hondabbq

Meat Mopper
Joined Jan 25, 2014
When its gets bitterly cold here and I have a hankering for sticks I use my dehydrator. It gets up to 160f max temp and brings the stick up nicely. It takes me about 4 hours start to finish.

piker

Smoke Blower
Joined Feb 11, 2009
I have only used my nine tray nesco dehydrator and other than changing trays halfway thru it works great

cmayna

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 23, 2012
For beef jerky I use to smoke for a couple hours and then into the dehydrator. But I never liked the bitterness flavor of the smoke so now I use only the dehydrator.

But for my Salmon jerky, I still smoke for 2 hours and then into the dehydrator. Love the results.

sandyut

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 18, 2015
smoke it all the way. 180 for a couple hours then 225 till liked dryness reached. I cut mine a little think so its about 4+ hours in total.

Will Squared

Smoke Blower
Joined Jan 24, 2020
I came to the Jerky Corner today to ask this same question.
I want to use my new Masterbuilt 560 and I can hold it as low as 160'.

What cuts of meat (probably beef) do most guys use for jerky?

smokerjim

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jan 14, 2014
I don't want to speak for everyone but I like the eye of round, or top round. you can also use pork loin which is usually cheaper then beef. ya just want to use lean cuts what ever you decide to use

sandyut

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 18, 2015
I would stick with a very lean cut. fat in jerky can be an issue. I always use eye of the round. I cut it in half lengthwise and then slice about 1/4" think.

phathead69

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Dec 23, 2016
20181111_102841.jpg
Notice tube under bench. Blanket loose draped. Most dehydrator take in air heat it push it thru. I just add some smoke to that air

phathead69

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Dec 23, 2016
Cool idea phathead69 phathead69 , might try your method. I usually smoke then dehydrate.
I made many batches of deer jerky that way. Wife and daughter dont like heavy smoke and this seems to do the trick for us. No transferring meat etc. It will smoke the glass a little. I just pull trays and damp soap cloth rub everything down and dry then store unit till next time

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.