Smoking Up the New Year!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jahfre

Original poster
Dec 30, 2013
We got a Brinkmann All-in-One smoker in November and immediately smoked a turkey. Yum!  Tomorrow I'm doing oysters, pork loin and brisket.  We were going to do a duck but decided to just roast the duck instead of smoking it.  In preparation I ordered a lot of wood chunks from Fruita Wood in Fruita CO.  I ordered on Tuesday and UPS delivered the wood on Thursday.  I have 100lbs of apple, hickory, post oak, maple, peach, cherry  I'll let you know how it all turns out!

We live at 9200' elevation in the Rocky Mountains of Colorado.  Near Black Hawk, if you know the area. We live in the wilderness with nothing but  a million acres of National Forest and the Continental Divide as our back yard. We have a great '94 Jeep rigged for trekking....but mostly we just prowl the trails in the back yard.

A few weeks ago I realized we had a lot of points on a credit card so we bought our smoker, a Brinkman all-in-one, with those points.  Plus a vacuum cleaner and a counter top ice cream maker.  ;-)

We roasted a chicken in the Brinkmann the other day...it was fantastic.  I plan to have the smoker going for about 12 hours tomorrow. What a feast we'll have!

Jahfre Fire Eater

The oysters came out great but too salty for our tastes. The flavor and smoke are awesome.  Soaking over night in oil will mellow them some so I'm hoping some of the saltiness dissipates.

There is a 6lb brisket in the smoke now.  I'm using texas post oak. I'll finish with some peach wood.

Later, a 7lb pork loin is going to be hit with maple and applewood.

Last edited:
[h1]
texas.gif
Hello and welcome from East Texas. This is a great site, lots of information and great people that are willing to throw in their two cents worth on about anything.   
[/h1][h1]  [/h1][h1]Gary[/h1]

Welcome aboard!  This is the best place I know for sharing ideas on smoking, grilling, curing, etc.  There are plenty of friendly, knowledgeable folks who really enjoy helping one another.  Looking forward to your input here, and just ask when you need anything...someone here will surely have the answer.

Red

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky