Smoking unique cutsof beef...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

flyhigh123

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Sep 30, 2009
I was wondering if anyone has smoked the following cuts of meat and also, what other "different" pieces of meat and beef you have smoked?

I was thinking of smoking bone marrow. I saw some nice pieces at the market and thought that this would taste pretty good.

How about Beef Oxtail? I love oxtail soup when it gets soft. Is there enough fat to keep it moist in a long smoke?

What other things have you guys smoked? I love beef tongue... I wonder how that would taste...

What other random meats have you guys smoked?

flyhigh,

I'm betting you opened a Pandora's Box here.

This should be interesting. 

I never really made any strange things. I like beef tongue too, but haven't had it since I was a kid, same for brains.

Also, as a kid, I liked deer liver, heart & kidneys. I love Shad Roe, but I never smoked any----Hmmmmmmm.

As for bone marrow, I used to get yelled at, when I was a kid, for digging the marrow out of my ham steak bone, and eating it. My mother would yell, "Don't eat that, it's all fat & grease!"----but it tasted soooo good!

I was a crazy kid----I used to chew raw Bacon as if it was bubble gum. Yup that was smart huh.

Bearcarver----61 years old & still alive----Amazing!

Thats funny, I was just looking at oxtails an hour ago and thought those would be great in a cupcake pan, I usually just braise them for soup. But I grabbed a small brisket instead for an experiment.
icon_rolleyes.gif

Last edited:
well, for bone marrow, i think its making a come back... a lot of fine dining restaurants will serve bone marrow...

maybe bone marrow, mixed in with some carbs or made with a fried rice would be yummy... maybe bone marrow, smoked, and then lightly crisped on a pan like bacon?

but anyways, i really want to open up to different type's of meats

cool.gif

Now those might be strange cuts of meat I have enjoyed them many times. Being in Jamacia several times we ahve had plenty of ox-tail stew, soups, and even in gumbos too. I have also had bone marrow a few times and my mother told me also not to eat it. I have also had some tongue sandwiches many times all of the above mentioned food I bet would be good smoked specially the tongue one soem smoke it up and give us the low down on how it comes out and don't forget the Qview either please.

I have quite a few shank cuts in my freezer, I was planning to smoke them sometime. Maybe this weekend... Too bad I don't like the marrow, I know many people love it. Crisping it in a pan does sound good, though!

I wonder who is going to make the first "bone marrow fattie".
By rights it should be Ray "Silverwolf".

He's our resident assorted Fattie King !

Ray !---Ray!!! Where are you----I'l get him,

Bear

Ray has been notified!

Last edited:
ROFL!!!! Bearcarver, thanks. I now see what kind of reputation I have around here. LOL

Thanks, you all got the wheels turnin. Let's see... what could I do with ox tail and bone marrow... Why not mix the ox tail with the bone marrow and put it thru a meat grinder with some bacon added in with it?  Hmmm. be back tomorrow gang. I've got some planning to do. For one, I wouldn't be able to tell the family what it is I'm smokin.

--ray--

(0||||0)

Last edited:
My gout is flaring up again just by reading this post. I have turned an eye to those ox tails and wondered about curing them and then smoking them to make a good, packable hunting snack..

I few days ago while slicing up some meat for making jerky, I was thinking that beef tongue should make some pretty good jerky. I have never eaten it, isn't it supposed to be incredibly lean?

Actually you can slow boil the tongue in water or broth for an hour then peel off the outside skin and you are ready to slice and fry or place it in the smoker for an hour or two on 225-250 and then slice and fry. It is the leanest meat on a cow. It has no fat at all. I just made some for New Years. Even my lovely bride liked it.

Going to do a smoked marrow dish for the restaurant. Will post the results when I get it figured out, still working out the particulars.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky