Smoking two 12lb Sucklings

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

brouillette

Original poster
Nov 4, 2016
Hi Ya'll!

I am catering a charity event tomorrow feeding 25-30 people, we should be serving people food by around 8pm.

I have ordered two suckling pigs, the biggest size I could find was around 12 pounds so I ordered two, plus 5 racks of ribs.

I did a test suckling pig that weighed about 10 pounds just a few days ago and it cooked extremely fast - in a matter of 3 or 4 hours. With two 12 - pounders is it safe to assume the cooking time would double?

My idea is to brine the pigs tonight and start smoking them slow and low first thing in the morning, keeping the temp somewhere around 225-250 F. I am guessing by 3pm they will be ready and I can set them in a low-heat oven to keep them warm. I will need to take them out of the smoker to make space for the ribs.

I figure 30 minutes before the dinner starts I would heat the oven with the sucklings to 500 F to get crispy skin on them and they should be about perfect.

Any suggestion on times or if this will be overkill for the tiny sucklings? Will 5 hours be enough for 5 racks of pork ribs?

Thank you!

I can't help you with the pig, but 5 hours is plenty of time for the ribs if you smoke them at 250-260.

Since this is your first post, would you swing by "Roll Call" & introduce yourself.

Then we all can give you a proper welcome.

Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky