Smoking Turkey?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

daddyzaring

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Nov 7, 2009
I am planning on attempting to try a turkey in my smoker roaster. Is there any type of non-salt, low or no sugar brining resipes I could use, or other alteratives, and tips?

Pretty sure Tip's slaughterhouse injection is low on salt and sugar, though I believe it uses Italian dressing mix which is high in sodium but you can always make your own batch and cut down on the salt. Brining does add some flavor but is more for tenderizing, if looking for maximum flavor that you can control I would suggest giving an injection recipe a try, bird will still turn out amazing.
I'll go look for Tip's recipe but most likely someone will be along shortly and post it for you.
Good luck!

Tip's brine and injections are both low in salt and very good to. I really don't know of any totally without or one with sugar. Maybe someone here mite come along and know of one.

Here ya go

Slaughterhouse Poultry Brine By Tip Piper of Hillbilly Vittles
1 ½ Gal Water
½ C Salt - Kosher
½ C Dark Brown Sugar
2 tsp Garlic Powder
2 tsp Onion Powder
2 tsp Cajun Spice (Louisiana Cajun Seasoning
2 tsp Celery Seed

Slaughterhouse Poultry Injection
½ Pkg Good Seasons Italian Dressing
2 tsp Garlic Powder
2 tsp Celery Seed
2 TBS melted Butter (non salted
2 C Apple Cider

Slaughterhouse Spritz (Good fer everthin!)
8 oz Apple Cider
6 oz Water
4 oz Whiskey
2 oz Cider Vinegar

I would highly recommend the injection and as said you can adjust the amount of salt/sodium if you make your own Ital mix and will still get tons of flavor without all the sodium.
I like to let my injected birds sit overnight in the fridge so the injection has a chance to distribute through the meat properly.

Would it be safe to stuff it with dressing while smoking it too. I also want to make sure it doesn't come out dry. I don't have anyway to inject it either, btw.

I stuff them all the time...I use my WSM at 320 degree.You can also probe the stuffing when bird is done to ensure it is cooked in the cavity....At lower temps you have to be carefull the stuffing gets thoroughly cooked....Stuffing will add a few minutes per pound to a cook as well....Stuffing should be 165 degree minimum or same as breast...I also remove stuffing when bird is finished as it could get overcooked or soggy....

You can't remove all the salt from a brine, as it then is no longer a brine. Mine is bout as low in salt as ya dare go. The salt is needed to perform osmossis, to pull the seasonings an yes some salt inta the meat. The sugar is there ta help balance out the salt.

With that said, ya can inject (Should be able ta get some sorta syringe, farm supply store, vet clinic er such. They ain't great but they will work. An injection is second best to a brine.

It works best if ya use both, but experiment.

Watch what ya use fer commercial rubs cause they got lots a salt in em to.

I'm not a big fan a stuffin a turkey an cookin it, but some do. If ya do, remember, that stuffin has to get to around 160° in the middle ta be safe. We always just make the stuffin in the oven, add some juice from a pan under the turkey fer smoke flavour in the stuffin, or cook the stuffin in a pan in the smoker. By the way, the pan a juices from the turkey make a very good smokey gravy!

Let us know if ya got any other questions, were always glad ta start ya in the right direction.

Good luck.

I had always heard about no stuffing a smoked turkey, danger zone and such but if you are running your smoker hot it wouldn't be in the danger zone any longer than an oven of nearly the same temperature so I don't see any problem with it.

I got to thinking, and I was wondering, is there some reason you couldn't cut up and cook/smoke a turkey, like you would a chicken?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky