Smoking the LOAF

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hookman

Original poster
Jul 14, 2008
Buffalo, NY
Smoking a meatloaf for the first time. Should I put it directly on one of the racks or in a pan? Thinking about wrapping the whole thing in bacon. Has anyone tried this?

Most of us like to use grill baskets (grill pans with holes all over). This will allow for good smoke penitration plus it will allow the grease to pass through so the loaf isn't swimming in the fat. Make sure to have a catch pan under the basket if you're using a vertical type smoker.

Bacon is an excellent topper for meat loaf. You may have to kick up your temps in order to get the bascon crispy.

Myself I use parchment paper. Not wax paper. I polk some holes in the parchment paper so it allows the fat to drain off. I use parchment paper for my meat balls and when I make little 1/2 pound mini meat loafs also.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky