Smoking spices

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

nduetime

Original poster
Nov 15, 2020
I’m not entirely sure if this is the appropriate place to ask this question. If not, I do apologize.

I’m interested in smoking some spices as some holiday gifts for family members. Early November I purchased an Amazn tube as my first experience with smoking. I cold smoked several different cheeses on two occasions. On the first attempt, I smoked some course salt for the full four hour smoke. I have yet to test the cheese but the salt turned out pretty good considering I’ve never tried any commercial example to compare it to. The second smoke, I smoked additional cheeses with oil oil for 3 hours. Again, I have not tried the cheese but the olive oil is pretty good.

Along with the cheeses, salt, and olive oil, I’m hoping to round out the smoke gifts with some smoked spices. I’m thinking of smoking some paprika, pepper flakes, etc. I’ve searched online as well as this forum but come up empty in what I’m looking for or of peoples experiences. I’m looking for additional spices and or herbs I could do or might try. I’ve read or found commercial examples of thyme, cumin, cinnamon, & peppercorn. I’m intrigued by the thought of smoked cinnamon powder. I was also thinking of smoked espresso powder which my wife uses in baking.

Does anyone have any experience in smoking single type of spices or herbs that might be able to comment or offer suggestions? Anything would be helpful.

You can smoke about anything as far as spices go I would think. The only ones I've done is pink himalayan sea salt and paprika. Also not sure what you use to smoke your spices but coffee filters work good!

Ryan

Reactions: tadams1967
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky